1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Satnav. Where has you satnav taken you ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lamaddalena, Sep 8, 2012.

1. As I update my satnav I wonder if it will still get confused and tell me I'm going across a field and not the A30 in Cornwall ? It always does every year.
    Last week it took me down a little lane until I got to a railway line that only had a pedestrian crossing. I sometimes wonder if it thinks I'm flying a spaceship!
    How do you know it is updating information as all mine asks is to be connect to the computer.

2. As I update my satnav I wonder if it will still get confused and tell me I'm going across a field and not the A30 in Cornwall ? It always does every year.
    Last week it took me down a little lane until I got to a railway line that only had a pedestrian crossing. I sometimes wonder if it thinks I'm flying a spaceship!
    How do you know it is updating information as all mine asks is to be connect to the computer.

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

mine usually asks me to turn on dual carriage ways or takes me up country lanes,,,,
    the other day it wanted me to do a u tuen on the motorway
    once i did follow it down a road and intp a really bumpy road..........only to bring me out on a dual carriage way at the end>

4. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Mine took me right into a scrap yard once!
    It is also convinced that a cart track is the quickest way to Lewes and gets very upset when I refuse to turn down it. It won't stop telling me to "Turn around as soon as possible" for about two miles.

5. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Not got one. Never seen the need!

6. oldsomeman

they are handy for finding obscure places in housing estates for me.....or when collecting stuff of ebay

7. Mine took me into a cul-de-sac. Another time it kept telling us to get off the freeway... we didn't want to get off the freeway, so it had a hissy fit, and decided it didn't know where Sydney was!

8. oldsomeman

not sure my sat nav covers sydney [​IMG]

9. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

As with all computers, the Sat Nav only does what it is told to do and is only as good as doing that as when last updated. Most sat navs are quite out of date when bought (map wise). Add to that the user asking for the 'shortest route' and you have a recipe for disaster. The sat nav does not know single track lanes through fields are not going to work for you - it has been told they are bona fide roads and you have not told it to avoid using them. The solution is always to run through the route onscreen and be VERY wary of 'unnamed road' slots. Even better, check the route against a real map so you can see the roads are decent ones.

10. With a few weeks of buying mine, it tried to get me to go the wrong way up a one-way street in Watford!

11. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

On a school trip to France a couple of years ago the satnav-reliant coach driver drove us into the car park of the French equivalent of B&Q.
    [​IMG]

12. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I'm not really a common newt. I'm actually a great crested newt but I didn't want to show off on here.
    EDIT:
    Somehow this post has ended up on the wrong thread. Weird.

13. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

I use mine all the time (for work) and it has never sent me weird ways. It did take me straight to the hospital (across London) when my son was rushed in, for which I was profoundly, deeply grateful.

14. colpee

colpee Star commenter

My TomTom did that about 18 months ago when big changes were made and lots of roadworks, but was ok this summer.

Is it updating? Don't know what your satnav is but TomTom offers updates that you have to positively accept.

15. A turning off a main road near us leads down a single track ,about a mile to a pub. Sat Navs still direct traffic down there so the local Highways Dept have put a sign up stating..
    "Sat Nav error".
    The pub owner put his own sign up , similar in colour, font and design to the Highway's sign. stating...
    ."No it's not, come this way for excellent beers, home cooked food and quiz nights on a Thursday and Sunday."

The Council made him take it down after a week. :¬))

16. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I ended up on an ever increasingly narrow track through a French forest once, although it did bring me out to the correct place at the other side,it was fun, I've never tried rallying before.
    My new one seems fine but has the most APPALLING French accent when pronouncing street names!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

My satnav has stopped me from going to all the interesting places I used to go to before getting to where I actually wanted to be. In some ways this is disappointing (I had almost enough material for a book about getting lost all over the UK) but, in others (saving a fortune in petrol etc) it is excellent. The only mistake the last one insisted on making was in taking me to the wrong area in Skipton - nothing would convince it that the place it had for that postcode was wrong.

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

There's a difference between plugging your SatNav into a computer and updating its software for free, and paying a subscription for a MAP update. Being stingy I haven't yet forked out for a map update, so we quite often find ourselves apparently driving across open fields when we're actually on a new by-pass. Signals fail and become slow when you're surrounded by tall buildings, and heightened solar activity can mess with the satellites.

We frequently get to see 'real France' in our camper when the SatNav sends us down country lanes to cut corners off our journey. We had a near miss this summer when our TomTom showed us having right of way on a small junction on a slight rise (where I couldn't see the road markings) when in fact we didn't. Fortunately the car coming the other way appeared to be using TomTom too and was slowing to give way. Mrs MSB was not amused by that one.

Because driving a 4 metre tall vehicle involves what I call 3D driving, I've added POI files that truckers use to warn you of low bridges and narrow roads in the UK - SatNavs don't tell you about that sort of thing by default.

It's amusing to see road signs nowadays saying 'Don't Trust Your SatNav' or symbols to that effect - a classic one is near Dolgellau where it takes you down a narrow winding lane across an even narrower bridge then deposits you at a hairpin bend that joins a busy main road with blind corners in both directions. We only needed to do that one once before we learned our lesson.

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

In Cornwall this year, en route from Port Gaverne to Padstow my sat nav took me through, yes through, the streets of Port Isaac. Anyone who's been to PortIsaac will know attempting to take any motor vehicle through Port Isaac is akin to a camel passing through the eye of a needle.
    There's a perfectly good road around Port Isaac byt my sat nav (or Dora the Explorer as we call it) decided to have a laugh and send me the other way.

20. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

My sat nav gets most upset by the new dual carriageway between Bedford and Milton Keynes - since the new road largely runs close and parallel to the old single carriageway, the little arrow frequently jumps between being on the old road and (in its mind) in the middle of a field.
    But it also got me around New Zealand, so it's all good.