1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Satisfactory to Good

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MsFranglais1979, Mar 8, 2011.

1. MsFranglais1979

MsFranglais1979 New commenter

I am about halfway through my GTP and feeling dispondent. I am fed up of getting Satisfactory with many elements of good and can never understand why they can't give me an overall Good. There's a general lack of clarity as to what constitutes the difference - I have one mentor who is all about resources and another ICT and the other about flexibilty etc. It's a case of they say jump, I say how high and no matter how much I try, I can never quite jump high enough. I put so much work into things and try so hard to please them and 'play the game' so to speak but to no avail. What actually constitutes a good lesson?! I have an excellent relationship with staff and pupils, no behaviour issues, lesson content generally sound (although I have some weakness in planning), subject knowledge fine - it all just seems to come down to creating a good show really and in some instances they have mentioned proving progression. It is hard as I work in a school which Ofsted has recently said that the teaching is Satisfactory so seeing Outstanding teaching is rare. I really need that input as I really do want to get that higher grade. Any Outstanding Teachers out there who can advise me would be much appreciated!

2. MsFranglais1979

MsFranglais1979 New commenter

I am about halfway through my GTP and feeling dispondent. I am fed up of getting Satisfactory with many elements of good and can never understand why they can't give me an overall Good. There's a general lack of clarity as to what constitutes the difference - I have one mentor who is all about resources and another ICT and the other about flexibilty etc. It's a case of they say jump, I say how high and no matter how much I try, I can never quite jump high enough. I put so much work into things and try so hard to please them and 'play the game' so to speak but to no avail. What actually constitutes a good lesson?! I have an excellent relationship with staff and pupils, no behaviour issues, lesson content generally sound (although I have some weakness in planning), subject knowledge fine - it all just seems to come down to creating a good show really and in some instances they have mentioned proving progression. It is hard as I work in a school which Ofsted has recently said that the teaching is Satisfactory so seeing Outstanding teaching is rare. I really need that input as I really do want to get that higher grade. Any Outstanding Teachers out there who can advise me would be much appreciated!

3. After 5 years of trying to work it out (with various gradings, generally outstanding, recently satisfactory and good among them), I have come to the conclusion, why stress? Its subjective, it means nothing in terms of your career recognition or progression, it means nothing to the actual teaching of the children or their outcomes, so why give yourself a headache? Sorry if that sounds negative and cynical, but having seen so called outstanding teachers in practise (sometimes great, sometimes so so so dull with completely bored children), and so called unsatisfactory teachers with children engaged, exciting and certainly coming out of the lesson knowing more than they went in with.
    Are you happy with your teaching? What feedback do you think you can take on board, improve on and make things better for the children? Don't worry about the grade, worry about the nuts and bolts. :)

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

That will be your problem. If people who are satisfactory teachers themselves grade you then they are unlikely to ever grade you as better than them.

https://www.tes.co.uk/ResourceDetail.aspx?storyCode=6029434

Has all the advice you need. But as the previous poster said, it matters not a jot what your observations say when it comes to getting a post. It matters only to your ego.

I remember getting really cross as a student and in my first year by being told I had 'the potential to become a really good teacher' (This was in the days when Ofsted was in its infancy). It is only now, too many years later, that I can see what they meant. Try not to take it heart.

5. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

As a GTP student you do 2 weeks at a different school dont you? You might find this exposure to alternative methods eye opening! I think the more you observe, the more you can adapt your own practice to take on board successful & innovative methods.

If you do not het this 2 weeks could you ask for a day release to observe another school?

6. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

As satisfactory is a perfectly good grade for a trainee teacher, I wouldn't worry. As an NQT, there will be plenty of opportunity to go to other schools and see other teachers, attend training sessions etc. At least you are on task to pass the course. Just do your best until then and you might find, in different school or with a different class, that your teaching improves. It's great you want to improve your teaching, but just focus on what you're doing at the moment to pass your GTP. As someone who was getting 'Satisfactory' in training, albeit on a PGCE, I found my teaching in my NQT year, with my own class, improved more than I could have thought. Ofsted gave me an 'Outstanding'!
    Good luck.

7. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Not necessarily Sillow! All my NQT training is done in house. Ive been allowed to attend borough training twice, and only one of those times was in another school. I have seen no teaching other than what occurs inside my own school! Luckily I work in a school with many outstanding teachers :)

8. How patronising. You are satisfactory because that is what you are. Nothing to do with the teachers you have been placed with. If you are that bothered, go and ask to see someone else's lesson. No matter how many times a teacher has had an outstanding obs, it does not mean that every lesson they teach, day in day out, will be outstanding. Give the poor teachers whose classes, ideas, resources etc. you are borrowing, a break.
    To the OP, have you asked how to get from satisfactory to good? Can they give you clear steps and pointers?