1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Satisfactory teaching has been reduced significantly...'

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by Compassman, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

But bet the cast majority of parents would realise that. Anyway why is satisfactory not er satisfactory?

2. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

Fair point. Prefer good though. (Satisfactory lover, present, meal, teaching ) This parent doesn't seem to get it however.

3. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

Satisfactory is just that. We'd all prefer good though? Satisfactory lover, present, meal etc. This parent doesn't seem to get it though

4. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

I know I know!

5. It is appalling English.

6. *This* parent may be paranoid but wonders if he's being accused of not understanding...
    *This* parent may be paranoid but *is* also a teacher, and was making a point (Gracias, Senor Presidente!) about the appalling use of language embedded in the terminology (and values). Sad that some teachers seem to have been so caught up in Ofsted culture that they're oblivious to the real world, and accept Ofsted as their professional arbiter, not their own integrity.

7. I agree - Ofsted has become a culture of practice over philosophy, and this has superceded any previous notion of what constitutes good teaching. This is clearly demonstrated by the use of language on this forum. 'We'd all prefer Good to satisfactory', for example, suggests that we all buy into the Ofsted culture. I, however, do not.

8. To try to be fair, I think the comment 'We'd all prefer Good to satisfactory' was contextualised to try and show how this does not just apply in OFSTEDese.
    Although the problem it shows is that the grading of lessons is based in some cloud-cuckoo-land. In the real world, in real English, satisfactory actually means something that's good enough - fit for purpose!
    So a hidden OFSTED agenda is revealed - a mechanism for constantly having a go at teachers.

Why?
    Possibly to keep neurotic teachers scared of thinking for themselves, and thus agreeing to teach only the Government-approved Curriculum.

Possibly to give healthy teachers breakdowns to ensure turnover of staff at the lower end of the salary scales...

9. Yes I agree, and I 've often wondered why Satisfactory is only just acceptable. We are often treated like the pupils - once you've achieved a C grade you must strive for a higher grade like B or A*.

10. zinzan

zinzan New commenter

Some of us have delusions of adequacy of course