1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Satisfactory observation because TA is disabled and part-time TLR?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by laydeedah, Jun 18, 2011.

1. laydeedah

laydeedah New commenter

Hi,

Forgive me if this post is very long or depressing. I need some help! I work at a school in special measures. We have been in measures for 2 years now, but I joined the school last November and have always received good observations. I was observed on Wednesday (with less than 5 working days notice) to be told that because my TA was not able to get up and get round all of her group, satisfactory progress had been made by children - even though I went to visit these children several times throughout the lesson also to ensure good progress. My TA has mobility issues and sits at an angle to the children. The observer had said to me that we should have arranged the tables in a horseshoe shape to ensure she was giving all children input. Now, I had no idea that the focus of the observation was the TA and their input, and when I asked the observer what the purpose of the observation was, she said it was just to see where we were before Ofsted - and I've had no written feedback. I called the NUT and they said it was against the disability discrimination legislation and that a risk assessment should have been done prior to my TA's return to work (she was ill for several months and returned at Christmas). The observer has just joined the school as an acting deputy. She's come from the council as an adviser sue to her section being disbanded. She's given everybody else she has observed a satisfactory observation for menial things too.

I feel severely depressed and undervalued. I have spent the previous couple of days crying - my year group partner received a good observation, and I will be managing her in September as I have been offered the numeracy TLR for 12 months, which the NUT were also sceptical about. TLRs shouldn't be temporary, should they?

I really feel like I am being taken for a ride by the school. Everyone wants to leave - and I'm not being dramatic. We are all so tired and upset. We have an unwieldy amount of work to do because the deadlines haven't been organised properly (we had less to do last half term - maybe some of the work could have taken place then?), we have been refused time out of class to write reports and co-ordinate subjects - even though we have policy writing deadlines to meet.

I want to feel better about the situation, but I don't know where to start. If I go in on Monday and ask the observer for written feedback, I know I will tell her why just to get a reaction, and I really don't want to start down that road.

Please help!

x

All of this, and we have three teachers on UPS3 who have been taken out of class because they were incapable of teaching a class, and they are organising workshops and shoving them on us with no bat of an eyelid from SMT.

2. laydeedah

laydeedah New commenter

Hi,

Forgive me if this post is very long or depressing. I need some help! I work at a school in special measures. We have been in measures for 2 years now, but I joined the school last November and have always received good observations. I was observed on Wednesday (with less than 5 working days notice) to be told that because my TA was not able to get up and get round all of her group, satisfactory progress had been made by children - even though I went to visit these children several times throughout the lesson also to ensure good progress. My TA has mobility issues and sits at an angle to the children. The observer had said to me that we should have arranged the tables in a horseshoe shape to ensure she was giving all children input. Now, I had no idea that the focus of the observation was the TA and their input, and when I asked the observer what the purpose of the observation was, she said it was just to see where we were before Ofsted - and I've had no written feedback. I called the NUT and they said it was against the disability discrimination legislation and that a risk assessment should have been done prior to my TA's return to work (she was ill for several months and returned at Christmas). The observer has just joined the school as an acting deputy. She's come from the council as an adviser sue to her section being disbanded. She's given everybody else she has observed a satisfactory observation for menial things too.

I feel severely depressed and undervalued. I have spent the previous couple of days crying - my year group partner received a good observation, and I will be managing her in September as I have been offered the numeracy TLR for 12 months, which the NUT were also sceptical about. TLRs shouldn't be temporary, should they?

I really feel like I am being taken for a ride by the school. Everyone wants to leave - and I'm not being dramatic. We are all so tired and upset. We have an unwieldy amount of work to do because the deadlines haven't been organised properly (we had less to do last half term - maybe some of the work could have taken place then?), we have been refused time out of class to write reports and co-ordinate subjects - even though we have policy writing deadlines to meet.

I want to feel better about the situation, but I don't know where to start. If I go in on Monday and ask the observer for written feedback, I know I will tell her why just to get a reaction, and I really don't want to start down that road.

Please help!

x

All of this, and we have three teachers on UPS3 who have been taken out of class because they were incapable of teaching a class, and they are organising workshops and shoving them on us with no bat of an eyelid from SMT.

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Sorry, what is against the DDA?
    No, they shouldn't.

4. laydeedah

laydeedah New commenter

The union had said that because they had based an observation on my TA's mobility that it was against the DDA.

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Would I be right in assuming that this was not an observation for Performance Management purposes?

6. laydeedah

laydeedah New commenter

You would be right. It wasn't for performance management.

7. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Go and speak up rather than stewing about it. Take in the official wording for a satisfactory and good observations. You can get the grading changed. At my school we have 6 observations a year. But only 3 are performance management, so only those are graded.

Though I don't think you will be managing your colleague because your are being given a TLR in maths. You will be managing maths and I hope you can see the difference.

8. A question to the OP:- On reflection, do you think the TA would have been more effective if she had been sat in the horse-shoe formation?

9. laydeedah

laydeedah New commenter

I think I will speak up about it. Also, I am going to be the phase manager of years 3 and 4 as well as carrying out my TLR in September, so yes I can see the difference, but I will be doing both.

10. laydeedah

laydeedah New commenter

I honestly believe that however she sits/sat in relation to the children, they all received/receive adequate support from her. I really believe that. We've had ofsted in and she's been sat in that position. Nothing was said. Why now?

11. As someone who has inherited a horseshoe shaped design TA table whilst a cover the normal TA (who has medical issues and is currently off for an operation) I've found them to be much more effective whether you have medical issues or not.
    It solves any 'Sit next to me!' sulks/arguements/hassle... it also means simple turning in the chair (or in this case, I have a swivel chair also inherited from the other TA) to help each child rather than needing to move around the table.
    This saves both time and energy. I can finish working with each group knowing I've shared my time fairly between them all. (If, for example, one child needs more support, it requires seconds to help a quick question from another before returning to said child rather than having to get up, move around go through it etc etc... it all adds up!) When I finish qualifying I will be sure to provide my TA (should I have one) with a horseshoe shaped table.