1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Satisfactory for Ofsted

Discussion in 'English' started by sebedina, Jan 21, 2012.

1. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

I had a lovely lesson and despite doing assessments and mini plenaries I thought it must be a "good" with the new ofsted criteria but got "satisfactory". The students were engaged and I had no bad behaviour.
    How do you tailor that part of the lesson for that observation period to show "good or outstanding" progress? What is they decide to pop in when the students are already on a task and that task itself does not show "progress" in the 30 minutes observation?? If they are writing a letter for example, do I simply stop them and change the format of the activity to fit in with the Ofsted tick list?as i dont know which part of the lesson they can pop into.
    Does it mean the dynamics of the normal lesson have to change completely simply to fit in into the observation period? He said that if he had observed a different part of the lesson, the outcome may have been different as my questioning had not been challenging enough (I had more challenging activities later as part of the lesson. E.g. to "evaluate and analyse") but the bit he observed was a different bit of the lesson. I was focusing on assessing prior learning and doing q and a followed by a written activity. Apparently that didn't show "good" progress.
    I was really disappointed as I think the lesson was good and my TA also commented how good the lesson was and how engaged they all were.
    Anysure fire tips? I have heard that it's good to always start with a new topic for an observation, but I was following a scheme of work.
    Many thanks

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Yup.

3. englishtt06

englishtt06 Occasional commenter

to echo Gruoch's answer - Yes!
    You need to train the pupils to be able to self and peer reflect at a moment's notice - against very firm and differentiated learning objectives/outcomes tailored to Levels/GCSE grades. Plenty of group work (mixed ability v good) with activities that are open-ended and/or allow you to up the ante (a.k.a. add challenge) if needed. Questions must be differentiated and challenging. Essentially, Ofsted must see progress in the short time they are in the classroom which is where the range of quick-fire mini-plenaries come in (traffic light system and thumbs up/down whatever is out of fashion by the way!). This isn't something you can do overnight - you have to train them.
    All this said - this advice has probably gone out of date since I started typing. Plus, don't let it get you down. If your pupils enjoy your lessons, make good progress, and are well-motivated then why give a rats-a** what Ofsted think?

4. sebedina

Ta very much! that answers it all.

5. sebedina

LOL re criteria changing as you are typing!! Exactly. It's barmy. I'm fed up of constantly shifting goal posts.

6. wanderfar

wanderfar New commenter

I've been on both sides of this and frankly think that it is often a little arbitrary. Our SLT are notoriously stingy with gradings. I had a great observation; they came to the right part of the lesson, the kids were on task and teaching each other. I thought it was quite impressive--I scraped a good. No one could really tell me how I could have made it better. Oftsed came in the next month and unluckily for me came into the part of my lesson where the students were all working independently. The inspector looked at my marksheets, looked through my lesson plan and asked me about the students--she then looked through the books of the G and T and SEN kids in the class. I didn't change the lesson, I didn't suddenly add a meaningless activity to show that they had made progress and they gave me outstanding despite the fact that no child spoke in the twenty minutes she was in there. This was the only bit of a 100 minute lesson spent on independent work but it was thought out and necessary. It made me think that the SLT in our school like gimmicks and the impossible. They would probably have given me a satisfactory because they want us to jump through hoops.

7. DiKadic

DiKadic New commenter