1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Satisfactory and Some Cause for Concern

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by rubeechooseday, Jun 12, 2011.

1. I have recvd my mid-term placement where I have been deemed satisfactory and some cause for concern. The action plan which has been put in place for me to help me improve includes undertaking more observation of good practice. The school also want me to do guided reading with small groups of children as opposed to whole class teaching for the remaining 3 weeks of my placement. I am not sure that this will help me in the long run as I need specific help with planning, assessment and differentiation as this aspect of my training has failed to be addressed in my second placement and in my current one. I have not received any help from my CT, AT or PAT in these areas. The Uni and School are also suggesting that I do another placement in September 2011. Can anyone give me some advice on this. What are my options?

2. I think that maybe what they are thinking is if you can differentiate plan etc for the small groups then you may find it easier to do the same for a larger class. when does your placement finish?x

3. Hi Laura - thanks for your reply. My placement finishes on 1st July 2011. Problem is I have a gaping great hole in my practice and experience of differentiation, planning and assessment. I am supposed to be doing 80% of the teaching now and I taught 2 lessons last week one of which my link tutor observed.
    In terms of QTS standards and evidence that I am achieveing these do you know whether attending parents evening and talking to children about their childre is sufficient evidence for Q4&5 communicate effectively with chldren, young people, colleagues, parents etc and recognise and respect the contribuion that colleagues, parents and carers can make to the development adn well being oc children etc?

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think it depends what you did there. My student in the autumn came to one of the two parents' evenings as I said it would be good experience for her. She sat and sulked all the way through as she really didn't want to be there. I'd have been very reluctant to say her attendance was evidence of meeting any of her Q standards!

However if you spoke with parents in a professional way there and meet and chat to parents informally at the beginning and end of each day and work well with the children, then it could be an added piece of evidence for sure.

With your other problem, why did you only teach two lessons last week? Why are your school not allowing you to take whole classes? If they do not feel you are ready to plan and teach full classes at all, then they are more or less saying they think you shouldn't pass. If they are also suggesting another placement in September it really does sound as if they think you should resit. Which may not be the end of the world.

Going to see lots of examples of good practice is a great idea. Teaching small groups while you sort of observe the planning and teaching of your classteacher is also good to learn some ideas. You can then take these with you to another placement and pass with flying colours.