1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

satisfactory and had enough

Discussion in 'Personal' started by regencyrob, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Little tip - ask the head to teach a lesson in your class to model a good lesson! Ask someone else to also observe! I bet it is not a good!

2. acertainsomething

acertainsomething Occasional commenter

Don't worry about the grades given as the goalposts are now about progress and attainment. If your children make outstanding progress then the teaching is outstanding. Unsatisfactory teaching......well you know the script. Don't worry about grades they are always placed lower by SMT for a very simple reason. Ofsted wil be told if you watch Miss X she will deliver a good lesson. Head has to be absolutely certain because if Miss X delivers only a satisfactory lesson then Head will be told your judgements on teaching and Learning cannot be trusted and now we need to dig deeper. You are feeling the pressure? I bet the Head is feeling it 10 times more.

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

You should listen to ACS because he knows his stuff.

4. Andy_91

Andy_91 New commenter

Lesson grades are silly. For a few years for my own amusement I taught exactly the same lesson for all observations (provided it was by different people). It was graded Outstanding once (Ofsted), Good twice (internal observations) and Satisfactory twice (Ofsted and internal).
    It's all ridiculous.

5. soon you will realise the whole thing is a farce. Don't pay attention to it.
    Are you getting paid any less for being satisfactory? Would you be paid any more for being outstanding?
    It isn't worth the emotional effort.

6. acertainsomething

acertainsomething Occasional commenter

A fair point, but I feel that those who are satisfactory against those that are outstanding go through the emotional wrangler quite a bit. The OS teacher gets no more money, but gets a lot less hassle and is free to just teach. The satisfactory teacher has planning reviewed, books scrutinised and a personal improvement plan to follow. That stuff is pretty difficult to take and often ends up with perfectly competent teachers being 'managed out of their position'. And remember satis factory (and all the hassle) to good (and no hassle) is thin thin margins.

7. This was my post last week!!! I 've never had the all elusive good and am starting not to care, satisfactory is good enough but I know how demoralising it is - however if you get that good you'll only come under pressure to become outstanding!! so for the time being I'm accepting being good enough.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Do you know this book? Available from Amazon, and no, I don't have shares in it!
    It is about how to teach an observed lesson . . . nifty, eh?
    <a>
    [/URL]<font color="#003399">[​IMG]</font>
    <a><font color="#003399"></font>[/URL]<a title="Go to "Pimp Your Lesson!: Prepare, Innovate, Motivate and Perfect (Continuum Practical Teaching Guides): Prepare, Innovate, Motivate and Perfect (Continuum Practical Teaching Guides)" page">Pimp Your Lesson!: Prepare,
    Innovate, Motivat&hellip;[/URL](Paperback)by Isabella
    Wallace
    , Leah
    Kirkman

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

9. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Is it of any value though, theo?

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

'Pimp my lesson'?!

Pimp (n): a man who solicits for a prostitute or brothel and lives off the earnings

Sounds like it's in the same moral ballpark as our esteemed education system these days.

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, it is very good indeed.
    Which is why I recommend it!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

12. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

It's all a load of rubbish really. My HoD gave me a satisfactory lesson once for low set Y10, so I asked her to teach the same lesson with her top set Y10 class. She used my resources, but her lesson was awful - she took twice as long over the starter and the pace was non-existent. Then a boy just got up and went to the loo with no permission and she did nothing. Had i taught that lesson i'd probably have failed.
    When we were OfSTEDed I was observed with a mixed Y9 class of 30 in a subject that's not my own and i got a 'good' and the inspector was so nice about my lesson. My AST colleague who thinks she's amazing also got a 'good' teaching a class of 12 GCSE kids in her own subject. I would rather be observed and judged by someone who is not biased at all. I think when you're observed by a colleague they're more likely to have already judged you, and if it's someone in your own department then they probably compare your teaching to their own more than if they observed someone teaching a different subject.

13. Oh come on, the word has undergone amelioration and plenty of semantic shift in recent times. Needlessly reactionary.
    It is possible to argue your case after an observation. Ask the observer to take you through the observation proforma, and point out exactly why the good bits were good and the satisfactory bits satisfactory. If you can point out how, in relation to the criteria, you were actually rather good indeed, then any observer with a shred of integrity will 'up' you. I've done it, to my former head, to the SIP and would've have done it with Ofsted too, had I needed to.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Back to the OP. We are a profession which is scrutinised a lot and the pressure from above is incredible. Satisfactory is not satisfactory, judgments can be taken with a pinch of salt and are subjective. I understand the pressure and how demoralising it is when you are constantly told you are satisfactory. The whole judgement thing is a load of.... anyway - how many people do you know who spend a long time planning an observation lesson that bears no relation to normal teaching?

15. But the point remains though, that 'to pimp' a lesson implies that it is what IS SEEN to be done, rather than what IS done. So it is all fur coat and no knickers.

16. I don't like observing any better than I like being observed.
    I gave a GTP student a 3 for a lesson, based on the marking criteria I was given, but her grade on completing the course was 1. I don't disagree with her final result (or my grade of one of her lessons), but I did feel silly - it's not as if I'm a 1 myself!

17. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

I started not to care last year. I just put myself through the wringer emotionally as I struggled with certain classes, never more than once getting a 'good' overall and even my strongest points not getting 'outstanding'. I ended up feeling that I deserved the poor behaviour some classes presented me with and that I needed to do more and more in order to get the behaviour back on track (when in fact it had more to do with timetabling, mixed ability and them being Year 9). You can end up making yourself ill and I honestly think, now, that it's not worth trying to be any more than satisfactory. Some people are excellent teachers and some aren't, but as long as we aren't appalling I think it's ok.

That said, I think I'd like to do something else now- I would like to feel that I'm excellent at my job, and I never will as a teacher.

18. To the OP,
    I know you are a little crushed by some bits of the feedback but there were some nice things in what these two people said about you - that you improved a lot, that they have faith and that they understand that some of the satisfactory elements were maybe down to your nerves.
    I am a little bit more interested in the fact that you said it's part of a coaching thing and that you chose to be observed with this class. Now coaching in my school is run as something non judgmental and helping you to reflect.
    Why did you want to be observed with this class? Did you give your observers a specific focus? Did you insist on them focusing their feedback on the focus that you chose? Don't just let people "do" feedback to you - as someone else said: make them justify it, make them give you examples as of how to improve. And yes ask to go and see other lessons within your school that are deemed to be good/outstanding!
    Hope you are feeling better soon [​IMG]