1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Satisfactory...again...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon468, Jun 13, 2011.

1. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I'm highly mediocre. And proud! [​IMG]

2. sat·is·fac·to·ry

ADJECTIVE:
    Giving satisfaction sufficient to meet a demand or requirement; adequate.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

3. oh...glad I'm not the only one! Doesn't usually bother me but feeling a bit rubbish about it all at present

4. Thank you - but we're all being told we have to be good!

5. Thank you - but we're all being told we have to be good.

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

You put the fear of GOD into them. Nip at their tails and their heads will surely follow. Sweet and Sour technique? Be nice and be terribly nasty, but fairly and validly. Show empathy, be cruel and unyeilding, again with validity. Be playful, be serious. Use all your character traits as a tool, because that's what they are in soft-end jobs like teaching. With tools you can make things or destroy things. You are not helpless and you must not feel like this. WRT to SMT/SLT they are there to help you, or they should be, make sure they do: squeaky wheel gets oiled first!

7. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oh plop. [​IMG]
    Where will it end? Soon good won't be deemed enough and only outstanding will do. What then??
    Ludicrous.

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

OP - is theer anyone in your department who regularly gets "good"? If so, arrange to watch them and have some time with them discussing what you do.
    The key these day is to rub the observer's face in progress - make it explicit.
    If progress has been made despite 1 or 2 being mildly disruptive, you are onto a winner!

9. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

dont you realise they have t o push up standerds in schools..then new good is the std!
    Boll..acks! can all be good all the while...once again its the stupid OFSTed driven myth!

10. Thank you! All very helpful comments...

11. I once got an outstanding grade from ofsted - did I get a pay rise...did I hell; did I get to keep my job during the college restructure......did I hell. I did get some 'goods' in internal obs but when the latest round of pay rises depended on getting good or above......yup, the vast majority of us got satisfactory.......no pay rise.
    I once got a satisfactory in spite of a red hot lesson (which the observer acknowledged) because.......I only had 6 NVQs in the class....how was that my fault? I didn't recruit, I just taught what they gave me. I refused to sign it.
    I once got a satisfactory because I neglected to tell my ADULT students about the dangers of the open window. I refused to sign it.
    It's all just one big con - yet another reason I left.

12. How to demonstrate progress -

give em a grid with "don't know" at one end and "know about" at the other (obviously customise it!) and they tick where they are at the beginning, in the moddle and at the end. If they have problems in the middle you can give differentiated advice etc. Then you kill two birds and they can't accuse you of either cos you've got hard evidence. Did it myself, if looks could kill the assistant head would've fried me. She was stuffed!

13. Doesn't cut it with somebody with a real agenda. They just say how do you know the pupils really knew they knew it. The hard evidence is then blown out the water.
    Observation grades are commonly decided before the lesson. I for one have been grateful in the past for OFSTED observations, there are generally no politics attached.
    An old wise colleague of mine, now retired, was observed by the head and got a 4. Two weeks later OFSTED were in and she did exactly the same lesson with a group who were a little behind the other group. Got a 1.

14. erp77

erp77 New commenter

Seeing as they change the goalposts each year, this years 'satisfactory' is last years 'good' so really you are 'good'!!
    [​IMG]

15. I concur. If you compare the old criteria of good, with the new criteria of satisfactory, you'll see they are very similar.

16. Never known a teacher yet who didn't admit that in spite of any Good or Outstanding observations, they still have days/classes/lessons that just aren't.

17. I take the view that when I'm dead no one will look back on me and think 'She was an outstanding teacher!'
    I'd much rather be remembered (and indeed concentrate my life on) having an outstanding life! Whatever my teaching happens to be on that one day when someone walks into my classroom is irrelevant.

18. If I were you I would just try to teach yourself that once you do the best that you can do then its good enough, whether that be sat, good or outstanding. No matter what grade you get the pressure is always there. I usually get an outstanding and a number of people have commented that its "easy" for me which really hurts my feelings- they dont see the hours of work I do behind the scenes, the number of evenings/weekends I gave up in the early days to get everything just so (I dont anymore) and once you get to where you think you want to be (the elusive outstanding) you have to stay there or they get concerned you are slipping.
    I had a broken arm and no TA so I couldnt get all my displays done just so by the end of the 1st week of term as I usually do- I got called into the deputy's office for a chat about what was going on because they had noticed things didnt look as they usually did.....nothing about the other teachers whose rooms looked 10 times worse and always do. If I get less than an outstanding its like the world has fallen in to them and there must be something wrong. The pressure to keep up the facade of effortless outstanding is immense. It is draining and trust me you dont want it.
    If I were you Id weigh up the work life balance you have now and think do you want to tip it any more just to get some ticks on a piece of paper. Teaching isnt about paperwork- its about the children learning and enjoying themselves.
    I have finally realised its not all worth it and cant wait until my next school where outstanding will be great if it happens for me or any of my new team but good is good enough and satisfactory is still a pass, with progress, kids learning and WW3 avoided so Ill accept that.

19. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

Well said. [​IMG]
    I have had a mixture of satisfactory, good and outstanding over the years and as long as I'm not unsatisfactory (or whatever the word is) then I'm happy.

20. Politics aside - it is still nice to be at the top of your game.
    Wording aside - it is human nature to always aspire to be the best. If "Outstanding" is the best criteria we can be, then that is what we want to be - regardless of how good satisfactory or outstanding is.