1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

satire

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Nov 9, 2018.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Is it still allowed?

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

whoops. Sorry for the double post.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Not sure it works anymore, as we now live it!

Malcolm Gladwell did an interesting podcast on whether satire is anything than just comedy:

In the political turmoil of mid-1990s Britain, a brilliant young comic named Harry Enfield set out to satirize the ideology and politics of Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. His parodies became famous. He wrote and performed a vicious sendup of the typical Thatcherite nouveau riche buffoon. People loved it. And what happened? Exactly the opposite of what Enfield hoped would happen. In an age dominated by political comedy, “The Satire Paradox” asks whether laughter and social protest are friends or foes.

http://revisionisthistory.com/episodes/10-the-satire-paradox

4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Nanook, do you not remember farther back than the 90s?

5. Nanook_rubs_it

Yep - I remember as far back as The Frost Report, though I was probably too young too fully understand it. It certainly shaped my skepticism of those in power.

Edited to correct ‘TW3’ for the ‘Frost Report’, I’m old, but not that old ;)

agathamorse and nizebaby like this.
  6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Are there subjects that are now taboo? Should everything be fair game for satire?

7. Nanook_rubs_it

For me, everything is ‘fair game’, as long as the attack is on a defensible portrayal of the subject being satirised. For me, Chris Morris is a good example of handling taboo subjects well.

Others may disagree.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I think so, provided its genuine satire, rather than gratuitous comedy.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And you define this how? Would love to know...

what is ''gratuitous comedy''?

nizebaby likes this.
  10. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I'd also like to know.

11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Whereas satire is humourous social commentary, intended to ridicule and shame governments, corporations and even nations, gratuitous comedy is social commentary that pokes fun at the differences in culture for cheap laughs. An example of this would be Curry and Chips, Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson.

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I was recently diagnosed with Forum Based Tourette's By Proxy, because every time somebody mentions "Satire" I immediately feel compelled to re-post this

http://trumpdonald.org/

(full volume required)

13. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

Is there any anti-social behaviour now that can't be excused by medicalising it?