1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SAT writing paper 2012

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emillers, May 2, 2012.

1. Help! I am a stressed and confused year 6 teacher.......Can someone please explain to me why my childen are still having to do a writing SAT paper even though it is my teacher assessment that is going to be published? Surely this is a needless exercise and just putting them (and me,as I have to mark them) under unnecessary pressure?

2. Help! I am a stressed and confused year 6 teacher.......Can someone please explain to me why my childen are still having to do a writing SAT paper even though it is my teacher assessment that is going to be published? Surely this is a needless exercise and just putting them (and me,as I have to mark them) under unnecessary pressure?

3. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Don't know, but why did you not opt to have them externally marked? We are and will then be using the results as a guide for out teacher assessment.

4. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

It's probably because some people imagine that the national curriculum assessment model doesn't work without tests!
    In fact, the NC levels were written for assessment without tests. There was a theory that there'd be standard assessment tasks (not test papers) to help the teachers but that never really happened. Sats finished in 1992. NCTs were an afterthought (and were mistaken, still are by some, for Sats).
    Don't fret - and tell your pupils the truth. The tests aren't really sats, and your judgement of their work over a year or two or three is what counts. Moreover writing is only one third of an English level. Reading and Speaking/Listening are the other two thirds.