1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sat nav - recommendations please?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by giraffe, May 3, 2011.

1. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

2. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

3. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I can recommend...

a map [​IMG]

*runs away*

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I have a Garmin widescreen ( although an older model!) and it is fantastic! It has taken me all over Europe and, apart from one trip through a forest on a track, has never gone wrong! I find it easy to programme and with clear directions. upgrades are difficult however, my laptop throws a wobbly when I try!

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Yes, but is it a talking map, hmmm? hmmm?

6. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Thank you
    Loving the idea of going all over Europe...

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I can recommend Garmin in general

8. Halfords sat navs are half price. I've just bought a Navman M448 for £70 ...I'd be lost without it.

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Austria last year! It managed to get me to Salzburg and back with no difficulties. Once I found a parking space, I fed that in and turned it onto pedestrian mode, it was as good as a map and I never lost my car once!

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've always been happy with our TomTom satnav both here and in Europe but I accept it may not be the best there is.

Once you get one, I can strongly recommend www.poieditor.com - it's a site where you can compile your own Point of Interest (POI) files then download them to your satnav. Great if any sort of touring and exploring is part of your travelling style.

Make sure you download free POI files from the internet too - very useful.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

..and for the record I'm perfectly capable of reading a map if I have to, but a SatNav takes a hell of a lot of navigation stress out of our journeys nowadays, especially in France where those bloody Michelin maps are worse than useless.

12. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

The one in charge of the map talks of course [​IMG]

I'm obviously an old fuddy duddy as I love maps, love planning my journey with the map unfolded across the table. I have a map of every city/ country I've ever visited and (for me) it's lovely to open them up and trace the journeys I've had.

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

some folks have recommened garmai nuvi 765w7fm traffic about £126
    it does uk and europe bluetooth fm player and can be used out of ca r as well as in, also traffic assist amd diverson help etc/////
    http://www.satnaveasy.co.uk/garmin-nuvi-765wt-fm-traffic-copy-i19351.html

14. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Oh, I do exactly the same too! But once I've decided, I like my satnav, mainly because I tend to either go on my own or sometimes with my aged and Alzheimer troubled mum who, bless her, can't read a map to save her life! Driving on the "wrong side of the road" on your own whilst trying to decipher road signs in a language you don't know and reading a map at the same time is one step too far for me! Give me a satnav any time!

15. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I've seen them in other people's car and I often wonder how they're not distracted by them?? They seem to be positioned really badly [​IMG] or is that just my perception?

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I've got a Tom Tom.

Really simple to operate, voice can be pretty loud if you want. No fiddling with plastic pointers or complicated menues.

17. i've got a tom tom which I love, it's so simple and at the weekend I noticed it is louder as you're traveling faster presuming to over power engine sound, Clever!

18. inq

inq

I have Garmin and Mr Inq has very basic, very old TomTom, neither of us would swap!

19. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Buy a map.

20. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

tom tom one,...no ifs/buts/either/ors

didnt even read past the 1st post!