1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sat nav mount - advice needed

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Mrs. M. and I have a sat nav each, mine is a Tom Tom, hers is a Garmin. Mine drops off the window within about 5 miles of leaving home, it's always been rubbish, Mrs. M's is better but is getting on a bit now and is starting to drop off too.
    Looking around I see some bean-bag holders for sat navs, has anyone tried them? are they any good? Or is there an alternative better and stronger mount out there we could use?

2. Mangleworzle

Mrs. M. and I have a sat nav each, mine is a Tom Tom, hers is a Garmin. Mine drops off the window within about 5 miles of leaving home, it's always been rubbish, Mrs. M's is better but is getting on a bit now and is starting to drop off too.
    Looking around I see some bean-bag holders for sat navs, has anyone tried them? are they any good? Or is there an alternative better and stronger mount out there we could use?

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Blue tack...

4. Have you looked into these magnetic, bean bag type affairs ?

5. I thought all bean bags were magnetic, they're certainly difficult enough to get out of once you've sat in one!

OP, I find swearing profusely at mine once it's fallen off helps a lot.

6. I've always used one of the bean bag type ones. It has a mount in it and sits on the dashboard. I got from the Garmin website.
    Here it is
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=63953
    I find it very useful.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Our TomTom mount looks like this:

[​IMG]

In our camper I've screwed the suction cup direct to the dashboard top and twisted the mount 180 degrees so the SatNav unit drops into it - works fine if you don't mind a couple of small screw holes in your dashboard.

8. I bought this, works really well. I store it, with satnav attached, in the boot.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Universal-Friction-Mount-700/dp/B000LRMS66/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1331485905&sr=8-9

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I have the same as highschooler, it works really well, even on a dashboard with a steep slope.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Mine too - it sits in the wee well on my dashboard with no bother.

11. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I've just gotten a Breffo Spiderpodium. You can bend the legs round the sat nav and then position it where you like - maybe poke it into the vents or somewhere.
    [​IMG]
    I've got a little CD compartment in my dash and I open it up, pop the satnav with spider in to prop it up and it stays put nicely with the lid of the compartment protecting it from glare.
    [​IMG]
    It's not a cheap gadget and I'm not sure how long it will last, so I avoid reshaping ot too often. It's a bit small for my Navman 5", but it works.

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have one of those, got it from Tescos. It isn't magnetic it relies on friction and its weight to keep it in place. Seems to work well and has done the job with my Tom Tom and my son's other brand (can't recall) satnav. Its called a Navmat (i wonder how they came up with that)! It has also worked in three different models of car so is pretty universal.

13. Mangleworzle

Thanks for all the replies.
    I went to Tesco today and got a bean-bag type despite it costing rather more than the £1.14p I had put aside for it (it was £19.99!).
    Mrs. M. has to use her sat nav tomorrow, so it has been installed in her car, depending on her success with it I'll get one for my car too.

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Why would you need 2, surely you both don't need to use a sat nav at the same time? We keep or in the cupboard above the PC (I can see it as I type) and whoever needs it just takes it (in fact the sat nav is in there as well).

15. Mangleworzle

We don't need two. A couple of Christmases ago when we needed one, we each bought the other one [​IMG]
    So we are used to having our own, plus our son sometimes borrows one and forgets to give it back for a while, you are assuming a rudimentary level of organization that doesn't exist in our house.