1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sat here whith no work when....

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sm1971, Mar 28, 2011.

1. sm1971

sm1971 New commenter

...I see an ad in the local mag to say that my agency urgently needs teachers! Well if they need people so urgently, why am I only getting about one day's work each week?!? We have a university here churning out teachers and no jobs for them to go to anyway, so I really got cross when I saw this ad.
    Rant over. Sorry :)

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, so frustrating! [​IMG]
    Just a little thank you for your supply bank resources sm1971! I often refer other supplies to these fantastic, comprehensive resources.
    Just sad you're not able to use them much. The 'misconception' that we are 'short of teachers' (they're still running the ads) & agengies recruiting more staff when there isn't enough work for those already on the books is all so ludicrous. And for those of us caught in this mess so de-motivating.

3. sm1971

sm1971 New commenter

No problem for the resources! I just have visions of children all over the country soing the same lessons when a supply teacher's in as so many people have thanked me for them. I should update the pack actuall as I've added to it a lot over the past year.

4. sm1971

sm1971 New commenter

sorry, 'doing' not 'soing' !

5. Just as annoying is getting e-mails from the agencies, which have failed to find you any work, enticing you to register with them, or contact them at once, as there are so many opportunities available.

6. Agencies, Government, training colleges etc ALL COMPLETELY OUT OF TOUCH AND IN DENIAL ABOUT TEACHER UNEMPLOYMENT.
    I find it incredible thst they can live the lie and keep the delusion going so as to line their own pockets, make false claims etc.
    Utter malicious, deception for all those sufferin teacher unemployment.
    TDA, GTCE...!? All to be abolished so why the deception and lies?[​IMG]

7. sm1971 I know how you feel. I did my GTP in Secondary D&T in 2008/09 when I was 34. I thne did my NQT year at the same school but then they didn't extend my contract, my dept wre all for walking out but I didn't want them to get in trouble and set about applying for jobs in other schools. Saying that D&T is still a 'shortage subject' and eleigble for the Golden Hello I applied to about 10 schools and got 7 interviews most of them were still finishing their PGCEs and only I of those interviews took an experienced teacher.
    I was luck to get a terms supply after 3 weeks into the Autumn term in D&T until the end of term due to illness then I did general supply from beginning of spring term until half term. On average I got a couple of days a week, I think 4 days was the most for a week and some weeks I had nothing. You can hardly live on that.
    There is even a school in Birmingham that has teachers in for half day slots which we worked out we were better off in the afternoon because you got the same pay for 2 periods as you did for 4 in the morning, only time they would do a full day if they wanted subject specific staff.
    I even did a few primary covers and the agencies were on me like hot cakes as I was very flexible. I signed up with 5 agencies there was one that got me most day to day work, one I had signed up to do the terms cover and another that got me a few days, another got me one day but I decided it wasn't worth it and told them I would not go back to that school and another that got me nothing and was quite funny with me after I wouldn't tell her which school I was at when doing my terms cover. (surely my choice)
    Luckily or unluckily as the case maybe secured a job at Walsall College to cover a secondment until July so gives me time to look for a job for september....I don't think FE is for me.

8. If it's any consolation, the agencies in my area are advertising for cover supervisors, not teachers.