1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

SAT 3-5 4-6 (papars 1&2) year 2008 level boundaries

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by nearlyfriday, Jun 15, 2011.

1. We are using the 2008 sat as an end of year assessment ,

does anyone know the level boundaries for these two papers or a link

the levels need to be just from the papers - no mental maths included.

also

is there a way to pull out performance in the differnet strand from the questions form the SATs. I remember the science sats used to put a weighting on SC1,2,3,4

thanks

NF

2. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

if you did the correct mental tests (C for the 3-5, and A for the 4-6) you will need to scale the boundaries to compensate. C is designed to be easier, so reduce each boundary by around 20% of each value (30 out of 150). The A test is for all the higher tiers, so 4-6 kids might only expect to get up to about 15 or so. So reduce the 4-6 boundaries by about 10% of each value.

4. googolplex

The easiest thing to do, apart from getting really technical, is to take 20% off the grade boundaries, reflecting the 20% of marks normally allocated to Mental tests.

5. adamcreen

but that only works for 3-5, where students are expected to be able to do attempt all the questions. at 4-6, the questions go up to level 7, so 4-6 students would probably get a lower range of scores, hence my 10% reduction instead. My next post will have the boundaries asked for, as I love this sort of arcane number crunching.

6. thanx very much adamcreem and googleplex for taking the time to reply. your help would be much appreciated re. sats levels 2008 . In my school i have recently temporarily been in charge of maths and ks3/4 transition ( i'm a science teacher by trade). we use a data analysis system called CASPA to make comparisons to similar schools to ours. A question to you - i have been asked to level our pupils on the maths strands number algebra SSM data - is it possible to pull these from a SAT test?

NF

7. adamcreen

2008 just the written papers total

4-6: level 6 score 74+, level 5 score 49+, level 4 score 27+

3-5: level 5 score 77+, level 4 score 47+, level 3 score 21+

You can calculate percentages for the 4 strands but you would need to classify the questions yourself, I don't have a spreadsheet that will do it for you.

8. googolplex

Well it is, but you'd have do some donkey work. There is no short cut here. You need to analyse the test, work out which question is on what topic at what level, and then make it up from there.
    The easy bit is to identify the intended levels for questions in KS3 tests - just look at the overall marking scheme and see where the various tiers of papers kick in.
    Next, identify yourself which question is on which of the various strands. Then work out which student has successfully answered the questions on each strand.
    If I was doing all that, I'd probably develop a spreadsheet approach to it. Ultimately, you have to come up with your own decision as to how you will decide whether or not to allow a level 5 at a particular strand.
    The question as to why.....? What use could such information be put to....? It really needs to be asked.... Alot of hard work for little gain.
    A number of years ago, they developed a sophisticated spreadsheet approach to this for the 2005 optional sats. We spent ages putting 1s and 0s into their spreadsheet in order to get a print out of who was at what level by strand. We printed them out, sent them off to parents who were happy enough - a few of the data freaks were ecstatic. Did anyone do anything with it? No! Alot of effort for no gain.

9. Thanks for your advice - does seem a drag to have to do - i will probably set up a simple spreadsheet as you suggest

adamscreen/googleplex

I appreciate your help
    NF