1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sarcasm

Discussion in 'Personal' started by thelovelyliz, Aug 4, 2011.

1. I was raised in a very sarcastic household and hated it. I've tried not to use it much as an adult because while it can be funny for the most part I find it rude. However, I do occasionally find myself launching into quite a sarcastic routine, usually when I am annoyed.
    Is anybody else sarcastic quite a lot of the time?

2. I was raised in a very sarcastic household and hated it. I've tried not to use it much as an adult because while it can be funny for the most part I find it rude. However, I do occasionally find myself launching into quite a sarcastic routine, usually when I am annoyed.
    Is anybody else sarcastic quite a lot of the time?

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I'm never sarcastic.

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

No, I'm NEVER EVER sarcastic

5. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

It depends on the context and the people doing the sarcasm!
    My dad and husband are very sarcastic with each other and take the pi.ss a lot. However, it's part of their sense of humour and no-one gets offended. They get on very well and love each other almost as father and son.
    I feel sarcasm isn't appropriate with someone you don't know well, however.
    I am very rarely sarcastic.

6. I do try. I found myself doing it to one of my daughters earlier when she was spending a long time getting ready however and she got quite upset which made me realise I was doing to her what I'd had done to me as a very young child.
    I think with adults who know another well it's different of course.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I should think not - I love reading your sweet and adorable posts and try to emulate you as much as possible.

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Sarcasm is not a choice, its a way of life!

9. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

No, I don't do sarcastic but I think it can be a good weapon and it can be amusing if used in the right way.

10. Hmmm. I think sarcasm directed at someone (in real life, not on forums) can be a bit in yer face and cruel. If it's about a situation, well, sarkiness can often lighten a grim situation - but when it's aimed at someone it's often a put-down or a criticism. There is a fine line....and it can be mere banter if the recipient is also quick witted.
    I do like people who have a quick wit.
    I prefer 'droll'. In fact I LOVE those who can be droll. They are usually quite clever - but sometimes their observational wit goes right over the heads of those in their company. The droll rarely look for come-back or appreciation either, which is a nice trait.

11. Yup, I'm direct, blunt, sarcastic - not a great combination but that's who I am no matter how much I try to change it. Those who get to know me, know my humour, when I'm being rude etc and in my line of work they know me well and I've learnt to use it. For those who don't know me, it takes a while for them to get used to me, I have to be very self-conscious and be gentle or not talk much.

You just learn to deal with who you are, adapt etc...

12. A year 10 student I'd been teaching for a couple of months said to me "Miss, you're definitely the most sarcastic teacher in the school" to which I replied "Thank you" with a winning smile.
    Student replied with equally genuine winning smile "I knew you'd be happy, wanted to cheer you up!"
    Sometimes I worry about my sarcasm in class, but the kids seem to get my sense of humour and appreciate a laugh sometimes - I can also be self deprecating so they know I can take it as well as give it!

13. I breathe, I eat, I am sarcastic. Sometimes I like to lace the sarcasm with a measure of Political Incorrectness for my added pleasure. Sarcastic with my kids, who learnt very young how to give it back and which, I might say, won them the respect of their friends as being quick-witted and funny. Sarcastic with my husband, water off a duck's back. Sarcastic with my pupils, though I did learn you have to pick your audience. Bright kids like it as long as leaves their balls still attached to their groins. Sarcastic with call centre staff who interrupt my dinner (sorry guys, it's an occupational hazard).
    The lowest form of wit eh. Limbo on down.

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Sarcasm is definitely a weapon worth keeping handy for one's daily assault upon the bastions of ignorance. To be used infrequently as a short stabbing weapon, not as a scattergun.

15. I like to think of it more as a suit of armour with spikes sticking out it, with which to protect myself from the proximity of the rest of the world, most of whom I merely tolerate.
    In a good mood today, I am.

16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Lily: Comme Ca?

[​IMG]

17. Where can I buy one????

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

You can borrow mine. I will really enjoy picking the dead from the spikes.

19. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Im not sure that I am particularly sarcastic, but I do enjoy asking the class if all the ugly kids could remain standing for a while.

We do laugh for a short while.

(Then I throw heavy objects at them)

20. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

Sarcasm and dry wit , the ultimate combination.....