1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Santander with a twist

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vladimir, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Has anyone else noticed the fees have gone up again? They close branches and raise fees at every opportunity. Why are they regarded as the best bank?

2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I've just had a letter about that, so my Santander credit card may well be on the way out! I was persuaded to open a Santander 1,2,3 account because of the cash back, but I'm not convinced it's worth it.

I had a Santander account a few years ago, which I switched when the bank managed to lose £60,000 into the ether. It was eventually retrieved, but at great inconvenience and their incompetence was breathtaking.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Assuming your 1-2-3 account is full to the brim, the £3 monthly fee increase won't make much of a dent in your net interest rate, which is still better than any short-term/instant access savings account that I know of. Their ISA rate is still favourable too. Obviously if you're only getting £3 a month interest on your account the fee increase is going to be a pain.

If you don't already use the cashback offers to the full that's one way of offsetting the fee increase.

I imagine that their best bank status (if it is such) is based upon how much money we can make out of them compared to other banks and building societies.

I do not own shares in Santander plc.

4. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I had a Santander account when I got married. They were so incompetent about changing the name on the account that I left them. I had already had huge problems with their switching service when I opened the account. I will never bank with them again.

5. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

They have the most complaints, so I heard...

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

They had apparently upped their game and the complaints had lessened, but the sneaky increases in fees will cause me to leave again I think. The website has the most impenetrable system as well,.

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I've yet to find a bank that doesn't **** up and then deal with it in the most incompetent manner possible. If I refused to bank with anyone who had offered poor service I would have run out of banks years ago.

8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I have never had any problems with the One Account and First Direct were always very good.

9. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I would never use a bank account that charged monthly fees.

needabreak and bombaysapphire like this.
  10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The sneakiest charge was when they changed the cost of using an overdraft from £20 max per month to £30 meaning your charged a £1 day for using it.plus the monthly arrangement fee.
    I have to say i refused the 123 account as it had no benefit to me as i didn't earn enough. In other areas i have banked for years with them i have not really had a lot of problems,

11. WaylonWu

WaylonWu Established commenter

They're a rotten bank. Full of sneaky tricks and hidden costs.

Vladimir likes this.
  12. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Yep. That's the one. It may only be another 12 squids but multiply that by the many clients and you've got a king's ransom! Last year, the agreed overdraft cap at £20 squids per month was increased to 1 squid per day, no limit. Greed. Greed. Greed. Greed, and yet more Greed! Santander has closed a mini-branch and a major branch in this area in the last couple of years. They use smarmy adverts to make them seem human, yet they are awful. Olympians on posters don't convince me. Every year you pay more and get less. Bad bank!

WaylonWu likes this.