1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Santa is on his way

Discussion in 'Personal' started by neddyfonk, Sep 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

I was contacted this week to ask if I wanted to be Santa again at a nearby shopping centre. I thought it might be a good idea for a thread for any would be Santa out there wanting ideas or advice about Rudolph, Prancer, Vixen, Dasher, Cupid, Doner, Dancer, Blitzen or Comet.
    Maybe pupils should be warned that giving lemonade to reindeers makes them dizzy and prone to accidents. If carrots or tasty veg are not left they may be be hungry enough to eat garden bushes. There is an official list of elf names and Mrs Clause does not want Santa to come home drunk after getting 'dirty beer'.
    I have had some wonderful moments being Santa which compensate me for having to wear a horrid scratchy false beard.
    Do you have any anecdotes to share ?

2. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

I remember going to a church party at Christmas time, and a dancing Santa coming into the room.

I thought he looked rather familiar, and perhaps spoiled it for the other children by yelling "Daddy!"
    (and he was!)

neddyfonk likes this.
  3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

You know, as a child I could never get my head around the idea of mummy kissing Santa Claus underneath the mistletoe. Not after he'd been to everyone else's house and came in stinking of tots of whisky and had a beard full of mince pie crumbs.

What sort of picture is that to paint for a kid?

neddyfonk likes this.
  4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Quite a few years ago one of my grandsons was addressed by name by Santa outside a supermarket. He wasn't at all surprised because, obviously, Santa knew everyone's name (dur!) but my daughter was mystified until she discovered later it was the grandfather of one of his friends.

5. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Wonderful moments:
    Having newborn babies thrust upon me to cradle.
    Excited youngsters taking a running jump onto my lap and giving me a handmade Christmas card ( with pressy list ).
    Four adult siblings in their forties coming for their annual photo with Santa.
    A quiet, very serious young boy who politely said hello and talked quietly about his wishes. His grandmother came to me afterwards to thank me because he had recently lost his dad and I was the first person he had spoken to since it happened.

bevdex, InkyP, Dragonlady30 and 2 others like this.
  6. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

@neddyfonk do you have a genuine big bushy white beard? :)

7. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Not so wonderful moments:
    Mothers who have not bothered to clean the baked bean breakfast off their snotty nosed urchins plonking them on my lap for a selfie.
    Children who 'do not believe' giving me the second degree interrogation about who I really am and how I could possibly visit every home.
    The child that pulls my beard off after I have done a four hour stint and need to go and feed the reindeer ( toilet break).

InkyP and stupot101 like this.
  8. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I have let it be known that I am not going to be employed in a santa role this year.
    Twice was enough and towards the end of the second stint I was having trouble remaining polite never mind "jolly"

9. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Years ago my teacher brother was asked to play Santa at his school and the infant school. The infant school was on a different site and, as time was short, he jumped on his motor scooter in full costume, causing a number of double takes from folks. Luckily, no accidents!!

neddyfonk likes this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Bah Humbug

11. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

:p

:D :D :D

12. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Well that's one less stocking that needs filling Yo Ho Ho

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  13. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Pirate Santa!

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  14. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Help - I've been rumbled ! please do not tell the children, I have a parrot to support and a peg leg to polish.