1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

sanitiser gel - government fails abysmally

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

There re no stocks of sanitiser gel anywhere around here, nowhere at all.

The government is telling everyone to wash their hands or use sanitiser gel when they are out of reach of soap and water.

Why have they not taken action to ensure that sanitiser gel is available?

How about deciding two weeks ago that only one bottle can be bought per customer?

How about buying the stock and issuing it through a voucher system, one voucher per month per person on the electrol role or in receipt of child benefit. with the option to apply to the council for vouchers if that doesn't cover you personally?

How about issuing to children through schools, one numbered bottle per child.

Some local schools are insisting children can only attend if they have gel, so the governments abject failure to take any control over the situation is depriving children of education, as well as leaving many people without basic protection.

First duty of government - protect your citizens.

FAIL.

How can we trust them with any other aspect of dealing with this pandemic?

2. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

How about ensuring that sanitising gel is available in all schools, outside all classroom and everyone, staff and pupils alike, use it on the way in and out. Schools are very unhygienic places. Through teenagers into the mix and...

3. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Personally I can’t stand the stuff, it makes my hands so dry and painful. I prefer soap and hot water.

caress, nizebaby, chelsea2 and 7 others like this.
  4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A magnificent collection of ridiculous ill-considered comments!

Maybe the House of Parliament should be converted into a hand sanitizer factory with all MPs mixing up isopropanol, glycerine and aloe vera gel in buckets.

And, of course, the people previously responsible for manufacturing hand sanitizer could run the country and deliver next week's budget.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What has actually happened is that demand has outstripped production and, at the moment, YOU can not get hold of any.

Do you normally buy hand sanitizer? If not, and you want some now, then you and millions like you are creating the current shortage. But don't blame the government for the fact that there is little of the stuff immediately available. I am sure that the manufacturers are working hard to make up shortages in supply.

Or make your own by mixing up isopropanol (70% v/v), glycerine (15% v/v) and aloe vera gel (15% v/v) in a bucket, just as I have done for a local school. Cheaper than ready made and the ingredients are readily available.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    CWadd, caress, rosievoice and 10 others like this.
  5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

How about some people are not so selfish and don't buy more than they need.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Agreed.

7. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

It's available on eBay and Amazon if you are desparate. A friend bought some yesterday from Ocado. Our local co-op has some and is limiting how much you can buy.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

eBay is your friend - just be sure to shop around, as some sellers are taking the pee.

9. mathsman

mathsman Occasional commenter

Run out of water?

towncryer and ajrowing like this.
  10. sparklepig2002

It's useful for when you can't immediately access soap and water. I have a little bottle in my handbag, Along with a small tube of handcream.

11. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

I have added to my stock of Isopropanol so i can do the same.

smilingisgoodforyou and nomad like this.
  12. sparklepig2002

You can't be sure everyone would use it though. You can take a horse to water......

13. Corvuscorax

Thats not true. I work with homeless people who have no access to running water at all, for most of the time. We have plenty of hand gel. And we provide it to homeless people.

yes, I personally use a lot, I am dealing with vulnerable people , many of whom already have TB

And yes, sorry, I DO blame the government. This shortage was entirely forseeable. People have stock piled it because they have no faith in the government to ensure the supply. They have been proved right to do so, the government has NOT ensured supply and distribution.They have absolutely failed in their duty.

Any sort of fair rationing system would have prevented stock piling, and taken away the need to stock pile.

The government are the people with the authority to carry this out, they have not done so.

Like I said, they have utterly failed at the very first hurdle in managing this virus.

14. Corvuscorax

and if you make it very slightly wrong, you make a substance which INCREASES the chance of infection rather than decreases it.

Who QC'd your sample before it was given to a school? I hope a competent operator with the necessary scientific equipment. And I hope your insurance is prepared to support you

caress and Nellyfuf2 like this.
  15. Corvuscorax

You can't blame people for this, it is the total lack of organisation and leadership from the government that has made the supply so precarious. It should have been rationed from the start.

emerald52 likes this.
  16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

To be fair it has gone from a niche product to you'll-die-without-it for many people with virtually no notice at all. Mrs. M. saw a boss of a company that make it on the telly a few days ago who said they were making as much in a day as they used to in a year. We have never bought it before the last couple of weeks like most people I imagine.

It's the greedy look after no.1 hoarders who are the problem rather than the government. I read somewhere (might have been on this forum) of people stealing it from hospital wards and topping up their own bottles from hospital bulk dispensers.

17. smilingisgoodforyou

smilingisgoodforyou Occasional commenter

Just out of interest @Corvuscorax , if you have plenty and you use it a lot, where do you get it from? You've just said that there is no hand gel near you. That doesn't make sense.

18. smilingisgoodforyou

Oh yes you can!
    It's selfish behaviour and panic mass buying, which is unnecessary.

19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Utter rubbish!

As is that.

I used to teach science there and was asked if I would do so!

Even the WHO has some suggested formulations for alcohol-based hand-run when there is none commercially available. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK144054/

20. smilingisgoodforyou

This!