1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sand and water Trays

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sweetpea12, Jul 16, 2012.

1. I have been working with an AST to help improve the learning environment in our reception classrooms and one of their recommendations is to have sand and water trays in the classrooms and a bigger sand area outside. This is great for me as I have had a resounding 'no' from my head since asking for a new sand pit outside - ours rotted and had to be removed in September. I have had a look in various catalogues but am not sure which one to go for. Has anyone bought a sand tray that works well inside? For outside I am thinking about an hexagonal sand pit? Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments.

2. I have been working with an AST to help improve the learning environment in our reception classrooms and one of their recommendations is to have sand and water trays in the classrooms and a bigger sand area outside. This is great for me as I have had a resounding 'no' from my head since asking for a new sand pit outside - ours rotted and had to be removed in September. I have had a look in various catalogues but am not sure which one to go for. Has anyone bought a sand tray that works well inside? For outside I am thinking about an hexagonal sand pit? Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Despite the widespread notion that everyone should have a sand tray indoors I think it's potty. The sand goes all over the floor and makes it slippery; it gets into trays and equipment and all sorts of places it shouldn't be. The properties of sand are best investigated out of doors.

4. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

Agree with nutella, it's not the sand tray that's the problem, it's the children, they can't help but get it everywhere! We had some lovely ict toys which are now broken due to sand getting inside them, sand tray is now safely outside.

5. sillysausage21

sillysausage21 New commenter

What do people think of the wooden outdoor sand pits with fold back lids? This year I have just used an old tuff spot tray up on a table for sand so they never actually get right in the sand!! Do you find the wooden ones a nightmare as they sit right in them? Especially on a damp day I can just see all the sand being walked inside!!

6. Mr ABC, whose views I respect greatly, says sand and water inddors, sand and water outdoors, always (more or less) and outdoors they need to be what they cannot be indoors, to offer different opportunities and experiences.
    Sand should not just be big enough to get in, but be deep enough to offer a real digging experience (a digging area could do that instead, I guess), sand also builds well and outside could involve big collaborative sand constructions.
    Water outdoors allows children to transport it, (spill it) can be used to transport other things, such as boats, twigs. It can be made to travel itself along ducts, tubes pipes and I'm sure many other ideas I didn;t catch when he rattled them off!
    Now thinking a 'Little Book of ...' moment coming on!

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Well, could you tell Mr ABC from me, hyssop puppy, that sand and water are sand and water whether they are in or out. And that sand does its darndest to be indoors exactly what is is outdoors. Give us a break, Mr ABC.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm moving to Y1 and the sand and water tray are going (following Alistair's advice to set up to meet the needs of the class ) and we will use the huge outdoor sand pit and water tray

9. We have recently updated our sand pit outdoors and have been lucky enough to be given an actual fishing boat! This is now full of sand and sand equipment andfor most of the day upto four children, as you can imagine is a very popular part of our outdoor environment. Just a suggestion that buying sand pits/water trays can be expensive and that if your lucky enough to have facilities such as boats then having such a thing on a larger scale is iseal for children to climb in and have lots of fun! :)

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Lucky Y1, Msz!

11. Oooo I've just got a real fishing boat in our outdoors- they're obviously 'on trend' at the moment! Only had it just over a week and the children have used it in so many different ways- todays was washing and scrubbing it!! Any other ideas for big junk??

12. I have used a truck tyre for my outside sand pit! I got it free from a local tyre garage, its fantastic. Took about twenty bags of sand to fill it though. I just use a bit of tarp with a tough top and a small tyre on top to keep the rain and cats out. The kids love it, I also grew some potatoes and strawberries in a truck tyre too, you need to get someone to check for nails or hazards etc, but they were free and have been ideal for me!

13. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

Whilst I love abc's ideas usually, I just haven't found it at all practical to have sand indoors, don't see the point if it ruins other resources, we have a sand tray in our outside covered area and will hopefully be getting a large sand pit in our garden bit so will still have both opportunities available.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

[​IMG]

15. Thank goodness someone can tell when I'm joking! It's hard to stick your tongue in your cheek in these posts!
    And neither do I !

16. inky

inky Lead commenter

So we're all agreed! Halleluia!
    Except that...

17. Whichever shape you get, get a hard cover. We have a soft rubber cover with elasticated fastenings on our big outdoor sand pit and all it takes is a heavy rainfall and the collected rain drags it down and floods inside it. It's been such a waste of a resouce as it's rarely warm enough to dry it out quickly.

18. inky

inky Lead commenter

Who is mr ABC? He sounds rather Haitian and sinister to me.

19. inky

inky Lead commenter

Is he a James Bond villain?

20. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I've known Alistair (Mr ABC) for nearly a decade now Inky ... he brought me possibly the most unusual gift I've ever received when he popped in to see me earlier in the year and I don't think he would expect people to create cloned settings with identical resources. He is very clear that he believes you should organise your class/resources based on the needs of your children not on some perfect formula for imaginary children and that what children need in Sept won't be the same as they need in July.