1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

San Pedro, Marbella

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by littlestar, Nov 14, 2015.

1. littlestar

littlestar New commenter

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has any insight to
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    in San Pedro. Marbella,
    what is the cost of living like, salary for Head of Faculty, would my children get free education there?

thanks

2. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

Unless things have changed recently, by law teachers are entitled to free schooling for two children. However you will still be expected to pay something for materials and for meals and the norm in Spain is that students buy their own books.

I don't know anything about this particular school though so can't help with salary details.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Although I know it well, I will not say anything about the actual school as that is contrary to the Terms and Conditions of the TES site to post about individual schools etc.

You would be best asking them about the conditions of payment etc.

The San Pedro area is extremely pleasant, not so full-on as Marbella itself just down the road.

It is also less expensive to rent in a decent place than Marbella, although a bit more than if you chose to live 20 minutes drive away. Looking just now on a flat rental site

http://www.milanuncios.com/alquiler-de-pisos-en-san-pedro-de-alcantara-malaga/?dormd=3&banosd=2

there are 3 bed 2 bath flats for upwards of €500 per month. I'd say €700 for something really nice.

As long as you keep away from the M&S foodstore in La Canada in Marbella, everyday shopping is cheaper than in UK, even if you don't use Waitrose. Your need to feed your Brit food crazes can be dealt with fairly easily by a monthly trip to the Morrison's in Gib.

Water is from de-salination and quite expensive, so no 20-minute showers, and take care with air-con in the summer. That will be cancelled out by the need for a lot less heating in winter, of course. The Thursday San Pedro market (not on a school week obviously!) will clothe you all for practically nothing.

Meals out can cost whatever you want. Obviously there are posh eateries, and bars frequented by members of the government who come from Madrid to their luxury holiday homes in Guadalmina, about 2km from the school. But there are also great local restaurants such as:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restau...sta_del_Sol_Province_of_Malaga_Andalucia.html

To my surprise the first review in English on here is negative - but it's the only one!

San Pedro area is a great place to live, IMO.

Best wishes

4. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Not sure about salary etc but some useful (maybe?) student/parent comments on marbellafamilyfun.com

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Strange then that this thread has not yet been removed ...

6. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

the school has not been named and no-one has reported the thread, therefore it is still active.

7. MadameMaker

MadameMaker New commenter

1. the school is not mentioned by name
    2. the school haven't complained directly
    3. No one else has reported the thread
    4. mistermaker hasn't contributed.

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    but welcome to the world of international educators

8. ganlin985628

ganlin985628 New commenter

the school has not been named and no-one has reported the thread, therefore it is still active.

9. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Why have you resurrected this thread???

T0nyGT likes this.
  10. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

If you can't figure out how to use a forum, then please don't. It just makes it incredibly irritating for the rest of us