1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sample police witness statement?

Discussion in 'English' started by littlerussell, Feb 17, 2008.

1. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

Can anyone point me in the direction of a sample police witness statement to be used as a model for writing?

Tried googling everything I can think of, can only find blank forms.

2. littlerussell

Can anyone point me in the direction of a sample police witness statement to be used as a model for writing?

Tried googling everything I can think of, can only find blank forms.

3. I wouldn't want to use any of the police witness statements that I have seen as models for good writing. Spellings, grammar, accuracy of writing all leave a lot to be desired.

4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

When I had to make a real witness statement the policeman wrote it out (as they do), supposedly what i had said, and I had to sign it. I really wanted to correct it, ideally with a big fat red pen, but since it had taken him a whole hour to write I just wanted to get rid of him. It put me off ever coming forward as a wirness again. So a sample one should be full of spelling mistakes, punctuation errors and poor sentence structure. Is that what the exercise is for?!

5. littlerussell

Trying to write an event from two points of view as an informal diary and as a formal police statement.

I'm sure there must be some examples out there on the internet - maybe for A-level law, or sites that explain the process. I just can't find one!

6. Are you looking for two different accounts here or a diary entry from one person followed up with a formal witness statement? Have you also got the correct witness form? It is form MG11.
    Twice I have had to give witness statements, both using my diaries, once for the defence and once for the prosecution. I too wanted to correct both the grammar and spelling mistakes as well as make the thing more readable.

7. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

My experience was similar to that of Doitforfree.

Great big long-winded process for quite a simple statement. Questions by one PC with another writing it all down very laboriously.

Then you have to read it for accuracy (not of spelling etc, though) and sign every page.

If I were you, I'd make something up in the sort of style you want to demonstrate.

8. littlerussell

Look's like I'll have to write my own.

I've managed to download a blank MG11.

I am looking to contrast e.g. "Consequently, the suspect proceded... " as opposed to "Then he went... ". I appreciate that a police officer taking a statement may not write like that ... maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all.

9. diamond_raindrops

diamond_raindrops New commenter

10. diamond_raindrops

diamond_raindrops New commenter

Sorry, it's the CSI scheme- on the year 8 page.

11. This is probably not what you're looking for, but have you considered using extracts from literature - detective novels, namely - as another way of looking at this?

What about taking an extract form say, The Moonstone, which will be first person and getting the students to re-write it in first person?

Just an idea - this way they would have a model to adapt and transform as a way into the style of writing you are hoping to attain.

12. DH1

DH1

Sorry if this is after the horse has bolted, but if you still want some information regarding police statements, post your email address - I might be able to help you.

13. Witness statement by black man stopped by the police in Brixton, Policeman:"what's your name?" Man: "Samuel Bow."

14. ww.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/publications/literacy/63477/nls_y5booster_policerecount.pdf

I used this unit with my class, was excellent. We made a timeline, witness descriptions etc.

15. Hello, I will also be teaching how to write a witness statement. I googled it but could not find any effective activitiy. I would appreciate if you sent me the worksheet that you prepared or gave at least some advise for use in classroom.

aysanyildiz@gmail.com

thanks in advance,