1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Samphire

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Sep 12, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I picked some up yesterday which looks beautiful. Normally I just lightly steam it and put it on top of fish. Any other ideas?

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Boil peeled or scraped new potatoes with a little saffron in the water, dress with a little butter and then toss with steamed or boiled samphire and a little lemon juice and dress with a little x v o oil. Lovely as a warm potato salad or as a bed for scallops. Earthy spuds; smoky saffron; salty, fresh samphire - lovely!
    Use as a garnish for creamy, velvety soups - leek & potato, etc.
    Nice tossed with warm asparagus in a salad - although you'll have to be sharp to match the seasons up!

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

I have a jar I bought in France - do those same methods work with preserved samphire?

4. egyptgirl

I didn't even know you could get preserved samphire. Is it preserved in a brine, H?
    Thanks for the ideas, Nick. Sound much more exciting than what I normally do with it!
    Can't wait to try them - I adore samphire...

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Dunno, sorry H. Never heard of preserved samphire.
    I have eaten lightly pickled samphire with mackerel ina restaurant. That was nice.

6. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Where do you buy samphire - I have never seen it although I have watched many chefs using it.

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

You can buy it from good fishmongers in season and also in Waitrose, at the fish counter.
    It can also be picked. Marsh samphire is the nicest, but rock samphire is more easily found and gathered (although dangling off cliffs can get a bit hairy!). Some rock samphire is unpalatably bitter - we picked some once on a holiday in South East Ireland - and it was inedible..
    The marsh samphire grows in saltmarsh esturaries - it grows on the Hamble River, which is within walking distance of my house, but you need a boat to gather it - something I don't have!
    I think most samphire in this country is imported from France.

8. egyptgirl

I think I read somewhere that Asda stock it - don't know what the quality would be like though!

9. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Just looked this up, apparently you should use it as you would cornichons (raclette/terrine or charcuterie accompaniment) or to aromatise oils or vinegars.
    Never eaten it myself, but apparently if very young, it's best eaten raw. In full season now, so might go to the beach and see if I can find some!

10. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

In Norfolk you see it at garden gates wrapped in newspaper with an honesty box for payment.