1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Same sex married couple with kids teaching abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by leee_h, Feb 9, 2018.

1. leee_h

leee_h New commenter

Hi eveyone,

I'm one half of a married same sex couple and we have 18m old twins. We're really interested in going abroad for a couple of years with me teaching. I've been looking into places that would be safe for us as a family and places where our marriage would be recognised etc.
    Has any other same sex couples done similar? Can you suggest any places?

Thank you all in advance :)

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

Please do not even consider middle east or russia. Anywhere in Europe fine and dont know about china.

3. leee_h

leee_h New commenter

Thanks....Middle East and Russia are already crossed off the list haha. I was thinking more HK, Singapore, China etc.

4. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Consider Taiwan (though recruitment here seems to be done now for next year).

5. clovispoint

clovispoint Occasional commenter

HK does not recognise same sex marriage. Schools likely to be okay with it but visa and parental rights may be tricker. I know there have been same sex couples with children teaching/ working here so it is possible but may require each partner to be recruited independently on own visa- ie not as a dependent.

6. Jones_md

Jones_md New commenter

Swiss schools pay well and gay rights are well protected. Switzerland is very traditional/conservative in many ways, but the Swiss really value privacy. As such even the older generation won't give you much more than a glance if you're a gay couple - the view is generally that your private life is just that - private. Much of Northern Europe would be a good option but most schools in Europe don't pay that well.

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I do not think that China would be an option.

8. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Same-sex marriage is not recognized in Switzerland and neither is full joint same sex couple adoption. You need to be sure that Switzerland will allow you both to live and work here as a couple with your children (I cannot see why it wouldn't but...).

On the plus side, I have colleagues here who are openly gay and no one bats an eyelid.

9. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

You will also struggle in South East Asia, unless you are recruited independently.

Thailand doesn't recognise same sex marriage, so you wouldn't be eligible for the spousal visa. You would both need your own jobs.

Malaysia still has very strong laws against homosexuality.

Singapore doesn't recognise same sex marriage either, and it is still illegal for men to be together (you didn't mention gender).

I have seen schools in Brazil, Denmark and Mexico, where same sex marriage is legal. Taiwan should be recognising it soon.

10. schmedz

schmedz Occasional commenter

I agree with tjh102 - the only same-sex couples I know in Thailand are both employed independently (not always teaching couples btw, as 'single' teachers also get the free tuition for biological children - you will need a birth certificate with the teacher-parent's name on it as far as I understand).
    That said, there are plenty of gay couples with children in Bangkok schools.

11. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

In China I had a UK female colleague who was married to a UK non-colleague female and each had a baby over a 3 year period. The authorities did not recognize their marriage of course, however, they lived as flat sharers. In my school after the first year you could choose where you live/flat share as you pleased. Not recognised by marriage but still possible to live together in China unlike some countries where it would punishable...

12. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

What did her partner do in terms of a visa? Was she also working?

13. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

Yes, working.

14. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

I know people who have done this with no problem in Thailand, vietnam and Laos. Not sure the technicalities, but have had no issue getting a job in these countries.

15. Vietnam is a great place to live. In my previous school there were several same sex couples who were teachers and they got the same benefits as any married couples.

16. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

China - I reckon it might depend on the school. I know of some same-sex couples here though in all cases both are working, including ones with kids. The school might be able to find something for your partner, like marketing or an admin role, and on that basis get them a visa too, but there's no guarantee of this.

I don't know if it would be possible to get the spouse visa on a "sponsorship" basis though? Your salary in China would probably be enough to live on for both of you.

17. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

I know it is not everyone's 'cup of tea' (although where is?!) but you could try a British Overseas Territory. We are loving life where we are and same sex marriages are absolutely recognised LGBT rights here are very strong.

ejclibrarian likes this.