1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Same post multiple agents

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sbkrobson, Nov 11, 2019.

1. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Having an office day today I was bombarded within the space of an hour by offers of work at the one same school by three different agencies. 2 of them did not name the school, but the location and remit made it obvious to me.
    I said to the first "yes, forward my CV, happy to go and see them" and to the second two I said "yes,forward my CV, please be aware that my other agency is probably also on the case".

What are the mechanics of this situation? It ought to surely result in some work coming through for me, but how is the decision arrived at as to through which agent?

A more general question-given that agencies seem to spend a lot of their time hovering for the same fodder, is it necessarily true that the more agencies you register with, the better options you will end up with?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Presumably the school decides which agency it is going to hire you through if you are the supply teacher they want. I don't know if schools ever have deals to give priority to a particular agency although I've known that outside education. Otherwise first agency to present your details gets the appointment I'd think.

sbkrobson likes this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ah, that's interesting, thank you.
    And...moving forward through today... what would you do if you have two emails from two agencies offering two separate introductory interview times for the same school? My first thought is that at least one of them is not being straight with me...?

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Hmm, I'll let those with more knowledge of supply than I have answer that one....

My experience of short term agency staffing is all outside education.

sbkrobson likes this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Thank you RW.
    Anybody? Any takes on this?
    I cannot accept two interview slots,and a potential third in the same place, that's just daft..
    What guidelines are there for this?
    It really is vulture-like behaviour

6. colacao17

colacao17 New commenter

I'd ask each agency what daily rate I'd be paid.

blazer likes this.
  7. The-Gaffer

The-Gaffer Occasional commenter

I think this might be a starting point for you to understand which agency you’d like the gig with. That way if you like the school & they seem interested in you then you can initiate the conversations regarding next steps

you might then need to have conversations with the HOD & the cover person regarding which agency’s you work for, what your preferences would be & why

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Just though I'd check in and say that @Rott Weiler was correct.
    What actually happens is the school is obliged to go with the first agency which submits the CV. Which makes sense in terms of the agreement they have signed-a CV is a form of introduction to a person, so by receiving the CV, you have been introduced. If you then use an agency who was not the first to submit the CV, then the school owe the first agency a finder's fee.
    No choice for either teacher or school. Who knew!
    I established this on visiting the school in question,and-this is the awful thing-neither myself nor the school would have chosen the particular agency for whom I went as their favourite.
    But they got there first.
    So twisted, because this particular agency does not then necessarily have to offer either parties the most favourable terms. The opposite from what I would assume.
    I guess that's the price a school must pay for using the services of multiple agencies.

It's so wrong. It makes my mind race actually, how both teacher and school can be thus objectified as cash cows, and how agencies are literally chomping at the bit to get in there before other agencies.

I've done long term supply contracts for a while now, but this experience leaves me feeling like a piece of meat somehow.
    I love the nature of the work, but I hate hate hate the set up, the middle layer of profit, the niceness when there's a lead, the aloofness when you then need something
    Just a piece of meat, fought over by agency dogs. Fastest dog gets it.:(