1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Same old, same old...

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by joannammarsh, Oct 20, 2017.

?

What 'extra's have you had from being a Gold Author?

Poll closed Oct 27, 2017.
  1. None that I noticed

85.7%
  2. Extra Advertising

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Special Offers on email

14.3%
  4. Prior notice of sales

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. joannammarsh

joannammarsh New commenter

GRRR....I'm going to moan (and I'm really NOT a moaner usually!!). Just out of curiosity I've just done a search of Secondary English resources...the first few pages are full, and I mean FULL of the same two or three authors...why? how? it's not fair! I can't wait for it to be my turn to be perversely advertised!!! Stomp, stomp, stomp....

2. jemmadaniels

jemmadaniels New commenter Staff Member

Hi @joannammarsh - the search algorithm is influenced by many factors, one of which is popularity over the past few months; based on the purchase and download history of a resource.

To keep the results fresh, we have increased the weighting towards 'newness' in order to give balance for newer content, and based the algorithm on more recent data to ensure we're displaying resources that are relevant and popular at any given time.

I can assure you that Tes is not actively promoting these particular resources and authors, or manually manipulating the search results in any way - it is all based on an automated algorithm.

3. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Hi @joannammarsh

I given up trying to figure out who or what is chosen to be first in searches/Tes picks/resources homepage etc. It certainly is NOT fair...but not much in life is!

joannammarsh and Alice K like this.
  4. Alice K

Alice K New commenter

Although, we all welcome new resources, many authors have uploaded quality resources some time ago. These resources did/could not benefit from the promotion that is available now. The site has developed since then.You cannot devalue resources based on the date of uploading.

5. Alice K

Alice K New commenter

Honestly, the information is given that resources that are in demand are literacy, mathematics etc.
    Yet we have ' Mindfulness' at the forefront for how long? It was in 1st place of TES Picks and now having had many days of promotion, it is in 2nd place!

mrajlong and joannammarsh like this.
  6. thinky

thinky Occasional commenter

It would be nice to see some assurance as to what the promised 'VIP' treatment is? I've sent at least two emails to TES in the past 2-3 weeks. Didn't even receive an acknowledgement, let alone a response.

I left the Facebook group some time ago because the responses I did receive from your staff were borderline rude.

As for the weighting towards newness... strange that all I seem to notice is indeed the same old, same old. I can't see how you can make any credible claims of there being no bias given the recent promotions.

7. mrajlong

I'm pretty sure most schools are done and dusted with Harvest too. What's the bets Halloween resources will still be promoted throughout November? And don't even get me started on Xmas resources...:confused:

joannammarsh likes this.
  8. joannammarsh

To test the theory of 'newness' advertising, I've put on some newly created resources on mass....and guess what, nope, not a single front page inclusion in sight....there really does need to be a revision of how this is working before hard working teachers will take their efforts elsewhere....

Alice K and mrajlong like this.
  9. jemmadaniels

Hi @joannammarsh I can see that you've added a resource named 'Love's Dog by Jen Hadfield (Relationship Poetry)' today. If you search the term 'love's dog', your new resource appears on the first results page, on row 5 in the middle spot - https://www.tes.com/resources/search/?&q=love's dog

I hope this helps!

Many thanks,
    Jemma

joannammarsh likes this.
  10. joannammarsh

This poem was added some time ago, but great to see it is getting some airtime...

11. jemmadaniels

Ah yes @joannammarsh , I see it was created in September but updated today - my mistake - updating the resource will cause it to appear as new. Another example is when you search 'edexcel relationship poetry', two of your newly updated and created resources from today are appearing on the first results page. I hope this helps in confirming that the newness is working as described :)

Many thanks,
    Jemma

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  12. thinky

It has long been the case that the search is excellent - you type in relevant keywords and generally relevant searches are returned.

This is not the issue most people are raising which is with regard to the main landing pages and those places where 'trending' etc. etc. appear. I expect this will come under the 'automated algorithm' explanation, except that 1. some of those really shouldn't ever be automated (hence the summer quizzes appearing in Autumn etc.) and 2. whatever is 'trending' is clearly going to be biased towards whatever TES chooses to promote.

13. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

I sent TES an email on 14th October in response to their post about math mastery resources (they were looking for resources from more authors), but I didn't get a reply either.

14. thinky

Well I suppose it's sort of assuring that it's not only me being ignored. That does go back to the question as to the definition of a VIP service though. Very Ignored People?

15. mrajlong

So did I...and me neither

16. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

Just received a reply now thanking me for my interest in math mastery resources.

joannammarsh, mathsmutt and mrajlong like this.
  17. mrajlong

LOL! I didn't get any response...yet!!!

joannammarsh likes this.
  18. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter Forum guide and community helper

From reading , it appears that newness and popularity are key factors.
    To become popular , a resource has to be exposed for sale - which is helped by active promotion. Given the number of resources available, it is easy to see why many purchasers would stop looking after one or two pages of resources. This is not helpful to those of us whose resources appear two or three hundred pages into the search.

Unfortunately, it appears that the automated algorithm is producing skewed results by design: the weighting is towards popularity - so it is almost impossible to increase exposure for unsighted resources.
    The emphasis for newer content to a degree devalues existing resources - especially those which are not time limited.

Why not have a search algorithm which just randomly picks resources, without weighting ?
    You may be pleasantly surprised with the results!

Or should Gold authors be encouraged to delete and then upload the same content every few weeks ?:D

Edit:
    Apart for the extra 5% royalties, I have yet to see any benefit of being a Gold Author. Could you please confirm here what your plans are for us.

19. mracdpresent

mracdpresent New commenter

same here!!

joannammarsh and mrajlong like this.
  20. mrajlong

I did finally get one...and now you've posted @mracdpresent I would hazard a guess that you will be getting one too ;)

joannammarsh likes this.