1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Same job offer, 2 difference agencies!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by epb91, Sep 19, 2019.

1. epb91

epb91 New commenter

I have finished my NQT year and am now a brand new supply teacher for a couple of terms. I am registered with 2 agencies and they have both offered the same position to me (1 term, reception teacher role, I'll be the 3rd teacher in a 2-form year group). I didn't handle it well and long story short, both agencies sent my details to the school within a couple of hours of each other. How does this work now that the school will see my details coming from 2 different agencies? Will they see it as a good or bad thing? How much bargaining power do I have or am I in the wrong? I have no idea what I'm doing! Thanks in advance, Ellie x

KateAnwen likes this.
  2. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

OK so you registered with more than one agency in order to find work, unless you have signed some form of exclusivity deal with an agency, you can sign on with as many as you like. The school obviously use more than one agency so why shouldn't you.
    The school will choose which agency to employ you through, if there is a pay difference they will choose the cheaper one. There really is nothing to worry about here, I expect it happens all the time.
    If anything the competition between the agencies should motivate both agencies to work harder at finding good placements for you, and if either of them does want an exclusivity deal with you, then use this to negotiate a better rate of pay.

3. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

No worries at all. I'd expect candidates to be registered with one agency so it doesn't reflect on you. They will go with the agency they are most familiar/comfortable with, and are only likely to respond to one of the two agencies, since starting a conversation with both could lead to both trying to claim that they have priority. If they want to try negotiating with both, then that's up to them. Differences in cost to them are likely to be slight - as a second year teacher you are presumably quite low on the payscale and the add-on fee is usually comparable between different agencies.

From your point of view, if they get in touch through Agency 1, don't mention Agency 2 when you visit and are interviewed, as Agency 1 have sent you and will expect you to be representing them. And good luck.

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

you can quite shamelessly bargain between the two agencies because in the world of supply it's all about getting what you can for yourself. For some people, that means being given the run around by agencies for a time before realising it, but we're giving you a head start-get the absolute most you can from your agency, do your absolute best when in school.
    You should inform yourself about how each agency pays, because what seems a good deal to your pocket may be mitigated by their use of Umbrella Company to your pay packet-factor this in when you are making your choice of agent.