1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Samba Band while pregnant?

Discussion in 'Music' started by CatsLife, Sep 12, 2011.

1. I've also posted this in pregnancy but thought it would be a good idea to post in music as those of you who take Samba Band rehearsals know how loud it can get!

I'm 14 weeks pregnant and I run Samba Band. It was the first rehearsal of term today and I've lots of new enthusiatic members. Until today, I hadn't really thought about how it might affect the hearing of my unborn baby - it was very loud and I could feel the vibrations of the drums in my body. I play the lead drum (repenique) which is held by shoulder strap and rests on my lower abdomen....

I'm not sure if I'm being overly sensitive and/or paranoid, but is this level of noise exposure OK while preggers? I've heard that lower frequencies can be slightly amplified by the amniotic fluid.

I was just wondering if anyone has taken Samba or played drum kit while pregnant and everything was fine with their child's hearing, or, whether you would/wouldn't take the rehearsals if you were in this situation.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Wouldn't risk it. I'm no expert, but samba is very loud and I'd have thought a baby's ear drums are very new and sensitive. Give it a rest until after maternity leave. Not worth the risk. (It'll probably come out saying, "Will you kindly SHUT UP - I WAS TRYING TO SLEEP IN THERE!")

3. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Maybe you ought to ask a Doctor rather than just asking on here.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I agree with YMB - I've heard serious samba in Barcelona, and it reaches the threshold of pain when confined in narrow streets. Don't take any chances.

5. Speak to your doctor/midwife. I remember having to leave a loud music session at a folk festival when I was approx 7 months pregnant because baby was kicking so much. Once away from the noise he eased off. THis only happened when the music was very loud with a driving beat.

6. I'd ask your midwife the next time you see her/him. Having said that, I don't think it'd do much harm doing a samba session. I did loads of loud things during my pregnancies (orchestral work, going to a F1 Grand Prix etc) and my children are healthy, sane and very musical.
    If in doubt about anything in pregnancy, just ask the medical people that know.

I suppose the alternative would be to wrap yourself in acoustic shielding materials [​IMG]

7. Ask medical people and trust your own intuition - if it doesn't feel right to you, don't do it, put the baby first.

8. Red wine fan

Red wine fan New commenter

I played the double bass whilst pregnant until 38 weeks pregnant with my first. She was breech presentation until I played a concert and the vibrations on her head caused her to turn over to the correct presentation mid-concert. She had a definite liking for certain types of music and during one rehearsal, when we played Wagner & Dvorak she was a happy rippling bump. When we played Takemitsu (some trombone & orchestra thing, sorry I can't remember what it was) she hated it and was whacking outwards, which hit the bass & it resonated loudly so much so that I had to stop. She is now 12, a decent cellist, a potentially fantastic bass player and bright spark.
    Her younger sister showed similar preferences. I invigilated a mock GCSE exam where various French Horn pieces were played. She liked the Mozart, wiggled more for the Richard Strauss and went bonkers for the modern piece. By the third playing, the candidates were fascinated by the bump, rather than answering the questions. She is a great musician and likes the French Horn!
    To answer the original question, can you change to another instrument whilst pg? If you enjoy it, I would say carry on as long as you feel well. Remember that the baby is surrounded by fluid so for now the sounds will be fairly muffled.

9. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

What does the risk assessment that has been carried out by your employer state about noise?
    It was my understanding as part of the duty of care that all pregnant workers had to have a risk assessment.

10. Thank you so much for your opinions and advice. I've spoken to the midwife and she said there isn't any conclusive evidence to suggest that drumming can harm an unborn child. She did ask if there was anyone else at school that could take it but if I had to do it, maybe not play the Repenique (the drum that rests on my hip/abdomen). She said that it if I don't feel comfortable doing it, then I shouldn't do it....

My employer now knows that I'm preggers, so they will be doing a risk assessment. I'm not sure what is says about noise, but I'll find out.

I can't wait until baby starts to respond to certain types of music!