1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Samba & African Drums - any recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Music' started by ethnic, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Socodi Music in Canterbury did a good deal for me once on ethnic drums!

2. bod99

bod99 New commenter

*like* @ Lennox

3. bod99

bod99 New commenter

Drums for Schools will do you a good deal, but be prepared to tighten the skins a bit. They're almost certainly the cheapest for bulk buying and are on for a good haggle.
    Goldcoast Drums do better drums, but for slightly more cost. They will do you an educational discount too.

4. LennoxBerkeley

LennoxBerkeley New commenter

5. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

I haven't seen him around for a while...

6. bod99

bod99 New commenter

it's a her.
    Maybe she's been thrown off for shamelessly advertising in the forum.

7. LennoxBerkeley

I feel the need to intervene here my dear forum friends. I won't have
    our African drumming guru and bod99 quarrelling like this. Now,
    apologise and make up. There's room for any number of mercenary workshop leaders and inferior drum manufacturers on this planet. We're one big happy family.
    Lennox

8. How sage, Lennox. However, as your friend Bod99 has had some posts deleted, as is often her way, your post her now looks ambiguous. Perhaps you ought to clarify that it is Bod99 who is the inferior drum manufacturer, in your view, and I the "mercenary" workshop leader.
    You're wrong on both counts, of course, but I know you mean well.

Firstly, Bod99 does not, as far as I am aware, manufacture or retail drums - she merely advertises repeatedly on behalf of a manufacturer I would certainly not recommend.
    I don't manufacture or sell drums either. I am simply a provider of African drumming workshops for schools, and I have a lot of experience of buying, using and mending djembes of all kinds. If I do build or re-skin a drum, which is a very labour-intensive and skilled job when it is done properly (ie the way I do it), it would be for my own use, or for close friends.Therefore, why would I offer advice here NOT to buy the ones Bod99 recommends, except for the public good?

And secondly, I am by no means "mercenary," as anyone who has ever met me will testify. I do have to ensure that I make a living from my very modestly priced musical services, that is true, but that presumably applies equally to all the posters on this forum (whether you are employed in a school or self-employed like me) - apart, possibly, from the poster known as "Doitforfree."

Anyway, here is my advice, from the deleted post, for anyone looking to buy djembes, whether for their own use or for schools. No-one following this knowledgeable advice would buy from the supplier "recommended" by Bod99.
    "At the risk of re-opening an old argument, I recommend that you look elsewhere.

Never buy drums that are strung with nylon. It stretches, and they
    will never be in tune. Don't tune your drum by shoving a wedge between
    the strings or buy from someone who suggests that this is a good idea. Avoid drums that are turned on a lathe ie churned
    out in a factory
    probably in the Far East by people who are not proper artisans and don't
    know how a good drum is made or what it should sound like. Ensure that
    the drums you buy are made in Africa by African artisans who know what a
    good djembe should sound like. The best quality drums are made in
    Guinea and Mali.You can get some good ones made in Senegambia or Cote
    D'Ivoire. If your budget does not stretch that far you may get some that
    are acceptable quality for schools that are made in Ghana, though the
    wood will be softer and the workmanship not as good. Still lots better
    than the junk you are likely to find in those catalogues you mention
    though.

Always find out how to tune and maintain your drums, and make sure it's someone's specific job to do it regularly!

Don't
    try to avoid this by buying djembes with shells or skins made from
    synthetic materials - they sound horrible as well as inauthentic, and
    will cost you an arm and a leg.
    Apart from the side issue of
    synthetics (which are vey expensive, but not good), you will generally
    get what you pay for when it comes to buying djembes."

Glad to be of service.
    b.ayengio@yahoo.co.uk

9. LennoxBerkeley

My word, it's a minefield isn't it? Thank you for your detailed clarification and biography, though you appear to be confusing me with someone who cares.

Lennox

10. bod99

bod99 New commenter

Just back from Music Learning Live conference and delighted to add that DrumsforSchools now offer great quality samba drums too, in addition to their very affordable and perfectly reasonable djembes. Enjoy x
    p.s. lol @ LB as usual

11. Indeed. It was in fact gedmusic who needed information on buying drums.