1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Samantha's threads

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by NoseyMatronType, Jul 13, 2012.

1. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

Why are they being pulled? The ones I read did not contain any personal attacks on anyone here nor were they offensive. On the contrary, they raised legitimate concerns about the subject we teach and provided us with an opportunity to justify its presence on the curriculum and to see how others deal with the same concerns. Personally, I resent not being given an opportunity to respond to her, even if she is a troll.

2. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

Quite agree. She is entitiled to a view, even though I have yet to find anything that she has written that I do agree with. I feeel secure enough in my beliefs to cope with her onslaughts and not be insulted. However, I also appreciate that ther are people who might be offended.

3. pete14

pete14 New commenter

At first, I think Samantha was an irritation. However, last night he/she seemed to flood the forum with postings on seemingly everything, including less than supportive posts to people who had expressed genuine concerns about their work situation, purely to further her puerile attempt to get under our skin. It is interesting though that it is only the threads she started rather than her contributions to other threads that have been pulled. I think if anything, it should have been the other way round.
    I know that she gives people a chance to think and to reflect and if she had carried out an informed pro science discussion rather than giving the uninformed opinions lacking in reasoning that we see so often in weaker student's work in RS, she would have been better received.
    I don't think it is a case of being offended, just irritated that this great forum we have here which offers diverse opinions but usually in a supportive way is highjacked by a troll with an agenda which he/she is not able to properly discuss.
    Breaches of 'netiquette' rather than terms and conditions I presume

4. Well i have no problem saying that I for one complained to TES.
    As pointed out she flooded the page with comments and postings which yes in one way made people think and argue but in my opinion was overbearing and constant.
    This page is for RE teachers to seek advice and help on teaching their subject not CONSTANT criticism and one sided comments. If she had been more open about her opinions then constantly running the subject down then people would not have a problem. Last night in particular she commented on at least 8 posts as well as adding her own 2. I have no problem justifying RE to others but she was overbearing and basically being a 'troll' on this forum.

5. NoseyMatronType

That's fair enough. I didn't know about all that other stuff and was only aware of 4 threads that she'd started.
    Thanks for clarifying matters.
    Of course, there's nothing to stop us conferring about how we might justify our subject. That's what I was finding especially interesting about some of the responses to her. I was learning from them.
    On edit: I've now looked at some of her contributions to other threads. And yes, they are irritating as well as displaying a profound ignorance of the tradition of scepticism that she claims to represent.
    As a fellow atheist, I wouldn't have gone about things the way she did as it leaves her wide open to her views being subjected to a swift process of philosophical trituration.

6. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

WOW! Bite my tongue, but I am about to defend Samantha...
    I am not sure that constant references to her as a 'Troll' are very helpful!

7. NoseyMatronType

Well, I actually don't think she is any more open-minded than a religious extremist. She's just trying to wind people up, which is itself a betrayal of the tradition she identifies with.
    This is one of the more infuriating aspects of this variety of 'New Atheist'. And they also don't realize that their views are nothing more than a re-hash of Logical Positivism, a philosophical movement that was shot down in flames decades ago.
    They also tend to know nothing about atheistic forms of spirituality like Buddhism (especially Soto Zen Buddhism) , the Carvaka/Lokayata philosophical schools of Hinduism, Jainism and so on.
    And they are blissfully unaware that there is no agreed definition of what a 'religion' is (the nearest equivalent term in Hinduism would possibly be darsana or 'way of seeing'). So they aren't sufficiently familiar with the contours, boundaries and ambiguities surrounding the very phenomenon they are critical of.
    So they are ultimately guilty of the same blinkered approach that we get accused of, simply by dint of not having read widely enough to arrive at a truly informed judgement to begin with.

8. I get your point but someone who goes on and replies to as many posts as she can with her narrow minded views to me is a troll.
    Anyway i don't want to keep going on about her. I like this forum and i have had many a good intellectual chat/argument with posters - Samantha was not one of those. I find this forum very helpful but all that last night was very unhelpful.

9. Some people just post for a bit of fun, have multiple user names and most probably have appeared on this forum under many mock names, some ethnic sounding. These people are unlikely to be teachers and lack any real interest in religion. They just enjoy a wind-up with people who take things seriously. I am sure we will see them again, so no need for anyone to get separation anxiety..

10. I gather that her stance on atheism and disrespect for people of faith was the reason for the threads going. This is a good thing.
    Those who show disrespect for the word of G-d have no place on these forums.
    I got into teaching to teach people about religion, with a special emphasis on the Old Testament. If athiests wish to get in the way of this, they should not be allowed to teach in our schools.

11. NoseyMatronType

'Scripture is no more than waste paper- Kaiten Nukariya The Religion of the Samurai
    In Zen Buddhism, there is no G-d and anything written down is regarded as a poor substitute for the direct experience of reality.

12. If you wish to pretend to be Jewish, please be more credible.

13. ramaduds

ramaduds New commenter

hahaha my thoughts exactly!