1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salt dough

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by ellesabe, Feb 11, 2011.

1. I was thinking of trying to make an imprint of my 11 week old daughter's handprint or footprint and wondered if salt dough would be a good thing to use. I know you can get special kits but they're quite expensive and usually for older children. So my question is.. will salt dough work and if so, how do I make salt dough?!

2. Salt dough is easy to make and to use, but a) is poisonous because of the high salt content and b) attracts moisture, gets mouldy etc. if not stored in really dry conditions. As you want to use it for a keep-sake, I would really suggest you use some other material.

3. Ah, okay! As you can probably tell I'm completely clueless about this! What could I use instead? Playdough?

4. Play dough does not really last either. I would look at those gift packs and see what they use, then just get a bag of the stuff. But you would have do be very careful with plaster of paris, too. 'Real' or that re-enforced clay (with polyester fibres) may work...

5. You've got me thinking now too - is there special paint you can buy that's suitable for doing hand/footprints of LO ??

6. No special paint needed (as long as it is not toxic, of course), just keep wipes handy and wash baby's hand/feet thoroughly afterwards. I used fabric paints on ties for dads, pillow cases for grannies and cotton shoppers for myself. Put the paint on with a sponge, so you do not get the strokes of a brush.

Oh, and hands are so much more difficult to do than feet, because you need the hand 'open' for a good print.

7. We bought one of the kits which contain alginate to make the moulds (it can be bought in art and craft shops on its own). Took several attempts as LO kept moving hands / feet so they touched the edge of the container and we were left with square ends on the fingers / toes. Ignore the instructions though and mix it with cold water - anything warmer and it sets before hands / feet can be put in. It takes a couple of minutes to set before hands can be removed. It's flexible so easy to remove, whatever shape their fingers are in. You then leave it for 30 mins before pouring in plaster of paris. Kit came with a bronze colout paint but others are available.
    Our first perfect mould had a clenched fist with the middle finger extended! Kept it as a paper weight and did another set for the frame.
    Do not, under any circumstances put LO's hands / feet straight into plaster of paris. There was a story a few years back where an art teacher did not supervise a mould making activity and a girl put her hands straight into the plaster. As it set, it heated up and burnt her fingers so badly that they had to be amputated.

8. We just used some non-toxic clay fro B&Q. It's a bit hard so the imprint isn't deep but I made it stand out by painting around it.
    I think we're talking about two different things here though- an imprint and a replica.
    I decided I would like LOs handprint on the front of our baptism invitations but (as a previous poster mentioned) it is almost impossible to get a good handprint and I would need lots. I decided to try and make a stamp version of his handprint by filling his clay handprint with latex. I really hope it works.

9. I went to a cafe where they do pottery painting and got a plate done with her feet, name and date of birth on. It cost me £10. I went back and got her handprint on a christmas bauble as well.