1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salt and Pepper

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by egyptgirl, Dec 8, 2011.

1. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Mr EG and I have some friends staying with us for a few days - I made some pizza dough and sauce last night for us to build our own and make our own toppings of which there was a variety of things to choose from - proscuitto, anchovies, a couple of different types of cheese, artichokes, olives, basil, peppers...you get the general idea. Before they had even tasted it, they both asked for salt and pepper (I never put it out on the table) to put on the pizza.
    I don't mind if people want to adjust the seasoning to their own tastes when they have tried some but I find it quite rude for them to put it on something I spend time lovingly making before even trying it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    I did point out that there was enough salt in the dough I had made as well as there being seasoning in the sauce as well as the toppings they had chosen to being quite salty anyway but they were very insistent. Then they told me that they thought I had added too much pepper to the sauce and too much salt to the dough!
    I do remember them adding salt and pepper to their food before they tasted it when we last went to stay with them and when they last came to stay with us but it just makes my blood boil...
    What are other people's views???

2. egyptgirl

Mr EG and I have some friends staying with us for a few days - I made some pizza dough and sauce last night for us to build our own and make our own toppings of which there was a variety of things to choose from - proscuitto, anchovies, a couple of different types of cheese, artichokes, olives, basil, peppers...you get the general idea. Before they had even tasted it, they both asked for salt and pepper (I never put it out on the table) to put on the pizza.
    I don't mind if people want to adjust the seasoning to their own tastes when they have tried some but I find it quite rude for them to put it on something I spend time lovingly making before even trying it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    I did point out that there was enough salt in the dough I had made as well as there being seasoning in the sauce as well as the toppings they had chosen to being quite salty anyway but they were very insistent. Then they told me that they thought I had added too much pepper to the sauce and too much salt to the dough!
    I do remember them adding salt and pepper to their food before they tasted it when we last went to stay with them and when they last came to stay with us but it just makes my blood boil...
    What are other people's views???

3. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

This makes me so angry!
    I have made scrambled eggs on toast for Mum and her friend at lunch...those eggs were delicious! They were creamy and buttery and had a pinch of nutmeg, a dash of black pepper and just the tiniest pinch of salt.......and Mum's friend didn;t even taste them - she just asked for the salt and pepper. ...I handed them over, mainly because I didn't want a scene, but was fuming!
    This same friend of Mum has done the same thing on a few occassions....my only consolation is that she does it everywhere!
    One time this same woman went for a cup of coffee and was given a couple of chocolate digestives with her drink. The hostess obviously had experience - and calmlu brought the salt and pepper and said 'just in case you need to season the biscuits!'...and it went completely over the friend's head!
    Personally, I fond it an insult to my cooking. I carefully adjust the seasoning when I cook. I appreciate that other people have different tastes...but please do me the common courtesy of at least tasting the food before adding salt and pepper!
    And linked to this...when I make a chilli or a curry, there is one person who always asks for the pepper-sauce - 'because noone ever makes food spicy enough for me'!...Well, maybe of he tasted my food he'd see it is actually well-seasoned and some food is meant to be fragrant and spiced not searingly hot! (Remember the Come DIne WIth Me episode where the woman asked for Chilli sauce with everything?)
    Thanks EG! I needed that rant!

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

It's annoying but I try not to let it get to me.
    I always taste food presented to me before adding seasoning. I must admit, I do like pepper so will frequently add more pepper to certain things, such as steaks, pizza and pasta.
    There should be no reason to add salt to pizza though, especially as the dough, if well made as I know will be the case with you, EG, will already have been salted.
    All really quite salty, too (assuming you mean bottled/canned/deli artichokes)!

I do feel a little awkward at my parents-in-law as they add little or no seasoning to their cooking. I feel very ungrateful when adding it but some things they cook taste of very little with no salt or pepper added at all. Pasta, for example, cooked with no salt is entirely inedible, IMO! They don't get offended as I still always taste what I've got in front of me before adding.

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I totally agree with both of you, I remember a chef on TV saying something about this, it may have been GR and I seem to remember he chucked them out of his restaurant, I sometimes put extra black pepper on green vegetables, if they are served plain, but then that is not the point. I would refuse to put it on the table until the so-called friends had tasted it. I suppose, in a way, one has to feel sorry for them, as they have obviously never had good food before. Oh to make a remark like that!!

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Yes, I know of people who do this. Really quite silly. You're dead right, lots of Asian food isn't meant to be really hot but have a celicate and complex blend of flavours than can often be obliterated by adding too much chilli powder. Lots of people seem to confuse spicy with hot. I do remember that silly woman on Come Dine With Me. I adore very hot food myself, where it's meant to be hot, but I don't understand the silly one-upmanship that sometimes comes with eating hot food (normally blokes, I hasten to add).

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

And - I must add to my point above - I usually don't add extra seasoning. I think it's important to see seasoning as an ingredient rather than a condiment. If it's been added judiciously whilst cooking, there should be no need for it on the table. I only ever add it if none has been added whilst cooking!

8. bfudge69

bfudge69 New commenter

I remember reading the word 'autocondimenter' somewhere once and realised that this applied to my dad. I'd often make things really nice for him to simply cover it in salt and pepper before telling off my brother for drowning everything with red sauce.
    I recall my dad complaining that some ham was too salty and should have been boiled for longer after my mum and I had just watched him put loads of salt on. That was a fun argument to hear. He is still an autocondimenter but he doesn't complain if it's too salty now.
    This used to annoy me but I'm used to it now. If I'm cooking for my dad I don't use salt or take quite as much care as I know what's coming.

9. This makes me cross too. Mr C tries to disguise the taste of food by pouring on the salt, pepper and frequently chilli flakes too.
    I once tried to teach him a lesson by putting a lot of salt on his food before he got to it thinking that as he put more on he would find it too salty and learn to taste first. Nope. It failed - he didn't notice.

10. egyptgirl

Oh, this is soooooooooooooo annoying! I've cooked Egyptian food on numerous occasions for friends who are mostly appreciative but there is one who tells me that I haven't spiced my food properly. When I ask him what he means he tells me that he has made this particular dish to a Jamie Oliver recipe (for example) and it didn't taste the same!!! Well, excuse me!!! What was I thinking being half-Egyptian and cooking you authentic food?
    Grrrr....I must calm down. I must calm down. I must calm down.
    Thank you for your replies, though. I was beginning to think it was just me and my hormones.

11. I have a friend who does this with salt. She came for dinner one day and I'd put salt and pepper grinders on the table, but at her setting I put a large tub of cooking salt.

You have to know someone's sense of humour to do that, and she does now try things before adding salt, but she just likes really salty food.
    Who mentioned GR? I only half agree with him, I would always add salt and vinegar to chips.

I blame 1970s Italian places - always offering you pepper from huge grinders

12. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I season my food as I cook it, always adding a little salt to rice, pasta, potatoes, vegetables at the very least.
    I only ever add salt at the table to chips (rarely eaten) and jacket spuds (along with peper and butter!).
    Pepper I do add to some foods. I love extra black pepper on pizzas and pasta, sometimes on a slither of smoked salmon and yes, I do like it on scrambled or poached aggs (sorry Bethannie) and very occasionally on other foods.
    That's about it!
    I put salt and pepper on the table (mills in the kitchen and pinch pots for formal dining) and really don't get stressed if people use them. TBH I find most people use a little pepper and far fewer use salt nowadays.

13. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Belle, if ever I cooked you scrambled eggs, I have no problem with you adding extra pepper!
    My issue is not with adding pepper to scrambled eggs ....I season them with pepper when cooking. It is with people (and one person in particular!) who insist on adding salt and pepper before tasting the food!
    I am sure that you would taste first and <u>then</u> reach for the pepper!
    And now I think I fancy scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast!

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I am aware that I do not put a lot of salt in my food. If someone wants to add more that's fine. If they don't taste it first and get the balance wrong that that's their problem.
    It is a waste of your lovely homecooked food EG but it is your friends who are missing out. It sounds as if they wouldn't appreciate it anyway.
    If I was nearer to you then I would offer to come over and show proper appreciation for your food. I almost never add extra salt and pepper [​IMG].

15. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

At one particular friends' house, I taste the food then wish I could take salt out. Which is not so easy!

16. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Actually I'm afraid I do have a thing for pepper on a few dishes and scrambled egg is one. So I probably would add some without tasting. With pepper it's also about the coarse texture of freshy ground pepper on food, as well as taste.

17. egyptgirl

You're welcome anytime, BS. Oh well. Feeling nicer about it now they've left. At least Scarlett appreciates my cooking...

18. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

My boyfriend is a terrible autocondimenter and I've found myself doing it by accident sometimes as well, I blame his bad influence! I grew up in a house where salt was relegated to the back of the cupboard (and my mum didn't appear to believe in the use of herbs or spices either, which is the main reason I helpfully took over most of the cooking from a fairly early age!) so I wasn't into salty food, or spicy food for that matter, until I my boyfriend started cooking for me. I do generally taste food before I add anything to it though, and I definitely do if someone else has made it because I don't know how much seasoning they've already added.

19. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Me too Belle, I always add freshly ground black pepper to vegetables, I just love the flavour.
    Does that make us autopepperators?

20. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

But I add pepper to my veggies! (And to scrambled eggs!)
    Why add seasoning before you've seen what I have already included?
    If afterwards you want extra pepper, that's no problem....but please taste my efforts first!