1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salford Reading Test

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by BibbityBobbityBoo, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Hi! I need to do some testing on a new(to me) group of very low ability learners next term. I've raked out all of my old testing materials from when I worked in SEN literacy in mainstream and although I've found my tests, I can't find my instructions for administering the test and can't for the life of me remember how many wrong answers can be given before stopping the test? Please can someone remind me about how to adminster the test? I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I've searched but haven't found the answer. Happy holidays and many thanks :0)

2. Hi! I need to do some testing on a new(to me) group of very low ability learners next term. I've raked out all of my old testing materials from when I worked in SEN literacy in mainstream and although I've found my tests, I can't find my instructions for administering the test and can't for the life of me remember how many wrong answers can be given before stopping the test? Please can someone remind me about how to adminster the test? I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I've searched but haven't found the answer. Happy holidays and many thanks :0)

3. susanrk

susanrk New commenter

Child reads sentences to you and you give them the reading age achieved on their sixth mistake.
    Hope that helps.

4. Look out...

Salford has changed and they have re-standardised it.

Thus, you can use your old one to measure progress but only against 1970s standardisation.

The revised Salford has been standardised using modern kids so gives a better measure of progress despite the small sample used for standardisation.

5. as mentioned above take note of who the test was standardised on in - for example did they include groups with SEN , EAL learners etc. For children with EAL eading tests can often give a skewed picture of what they can do.

6. *reading* even!

7. Had no idea that was the case, thank you all for your help! Enjoy the rest of the holidays x

8. please email me one of the new tests by tomorrow morning and I will copy you the manual that I have bought with no manual.
    amaiden@southwold.hackney.sch.uk
    In need!!