1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sales Trends

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by mrajlong, May 27, 2016.

1. mrajlong

mrajlong Senior commenter

Hi, other authors,

Having been making and selling resources for about 9 months now (reasonably successfully), I still struggle to predict when, what days, what time of day etc I seem to make good sales. I've noticed that Sundays are usually pretty good (though they can fluctuate), the week before holidays are slow weeks and the weekend before a new half-term are always great (helped usually by a sale). For example, on one Wednesday I may make 10-15 sales; the next Wednesday: 2-5 sales. It makes it very hard to forecast earnings and to take that leap of faith and maybe give up a day or two of actual teaching (one can dream!!). I also find it sadly ironic that when I have the most time to dedicate to creating resources - the holidays - my sales become ****!

I was wondering what experience/insights other authors may have on this subject...

2. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

There doesn't appear to be patterns to my sales figures either. Before Easter, was particularly successful but most days is between 1-3 sales. The sales (35% off) usually drum up further interest. There is a culture shift happening though; as more people are willing to purchase quality resources, sales will increase. I suppose it's up to TES to decide and monitor what 'quality' is on their site.

I know I'm not going to be able to leave teaching (more to the point I don't actually want to), so any sales are a bonus & hopefully the resources are useful to purchasers as well as for my own teaching!

mrajlong likes this.
  3. mrajlong

I think monitoring quality is key for the TES's success. If teacher's are disappointed with one purchase they are unlikely to buy another. Building a reputation will take time though. Glad you are still enjoying teaching cate_h. I'm jealous cos I used to love it! Now I dream of freedom!

CurriculumForAutism and cate_h like this.
  4. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

I can't predict day to day but over the year there are define trends. Christmas summer holidays etc.

Agreed about the freedom.... I played with the idea for a while and took the leap at the beginning of the year. Then I was supplying for a couple of days a week and creating resources the rest. I supplied at my current school and fell in love went back full time.

The freedom thing is still in the back of my head tho...

mrajlong likes this.
  5. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Hi @mrajlong ,
    If you're going to be purely dependant on sales from here,don't give up your day job!:)

Time (and other resources) invested are never wasted, since once published you could potentially reap royalties for a very long time.

Are you also selling elsewhere?I ask since Kindle and *** has proven to be successful for members of this forum.

Good luck and don't worry too much!:cool:

mrajlong likes this.
  6. mrajlong

Hi mathsmutt,
    I sell a bit on *** and have resources on Help Me Teach. Make a few sales on *** and hardly anything on HMT, the vast majority on TES. Agree about investing the time and I know it's not wasted when I see the sales pick up! I'm curious to see what happens with global sales, especially as my US versions on TES have hardly sold at all (2 or 3 I think). How does selling on Kindle work?

mathsmutt likes this.
  7. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

Hi @mrajlong,

https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A37Z49E2DDQPP3&ref_=gs

Firstly, create an account with KDP as in the help link above.

There are a few ways to make the material st for kindle format. For some, I hand craft in HTML, for others,I use the PDF converter here:

They do have certain terms and conditions that have to be adhered to, but I have found it to be a good platform.

I too am hopeful that TES Global will be productive.

Good luck!:)

8. mrajlong

Thanks for information, mathsmutt :)

mathsmutt likes this.
  9. iGCSE101

iGCSE101 New commenter

Wow that sounds like a lot of sales, I am not so new to selling resources. I have only a few sales and I sell one or two every few weeks. Reading these posts it seems that some contributors sell a lot. Maybe I need to consider a selling strategy besides social media.... Any advice on how to encourage feedback?

10. Lupinamy

Lupinamy New commenter

If you have resources uploaded on this site, are they automatically available for TES Global?

11. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

iGCSE - I wouldn't consider myself an expert by any stretch but I do make daily sales. I do put a lot of time into promotion. I am a bit concerned that people wouldn't find me if I didn't pin, YouTube, blog, FB, link up, etc. etc. etc.

I am planning to make a Periscope / YouTube video soon on promotion. I have been kinda planning it for a while but I keep putting it off, I will get to it eventually....

12. mrajlong

I'm the same as Charleei, in so much I make daily sales. I don't really promote myself at all. Have linked my account to facebook etc but I don't really see the point of posting it as most of my friends aren't teachers anyway (lucky b*gg*rs)!