1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sale on Resources

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Dec 3, 2015.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I do not agree with selling resources on TES.
    I give mine free of charge and refuse to pay for any that are charged for. I feel it is not in the spirit in which the resources section was set up, and I'd certainly not sell resources to colleagues, so why to 'virtual' colleagues.
    That aside, did any of you notice 'Black Friday' on Resources, and now a 'Christmas Sale'? IMO quite ridiculous and maybe an indicator sales are not doing so well. Any thoughts?

Owen134866, midnight_angel and marlin like this.
  2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I have stopped even looking at resources since they introduced the charging. I wouldn't even download freebies from TES now.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Absolutely! For me it's part of the teacher collegiate to share resources.
    Have to confess I didn't but I agree it probably indicates the 'paid for resources are probably not a great success.

marlin likes this.
  4. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Would not use the free resources, either, on principle. And yes, I did see the Black Friday sale which I thought was crass.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  5. marlin

marlin Star commenter

It seems the people uploading the resources receive the same amount of money, but the reduction is in the amount that TES receive.

Black Friday sale - 35% off all premium resources

That's a shame. Some of us have kept all of our resources free and have not uploaded any 'premium' resources - on principle. If they are not downloaded and reviewed then there's a risk the site might become 'premium' resources only.

I agree with both of you.

midnight_angel and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

I think, for me, the issue is if I am paying for a resource, I want a professionally produced resource, not someone's powerpoint which I will have to tweak in order to use. TES was always the helpful share site and lots of people put stuff up and were then helped to improve it and so on. To start charging for stuff changes the focus. Sad really.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Exactly.

midnight_angel likes this.
  8. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

You have principles? :p

9. BelleDuJour

Maybe TES need a rethink on this.
    Why would you not use free resources Aspen? On what principle? Do you not share resources with your colleagues at school?

midnight_angel and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. midnight_angel

midnight_angel Senior commenter

I like the resources section - always have. Refuse to pay for any. Seems a bit cheeky really for some people to expect payment, when other lovely souls are still being helpful and uploading for free.

I must admit to feeling rather 'smug' the other day though, when I realised that some powerpoints (a lovely mini SoW) I downloaded over a year ago now, are now being sold, as a collection, for £10.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

I want nothing to do with any resources offered on an education site which sit alongside resources which are for sale.
    Point.

I think I have only ever found one resource which was useful, anyway, so it's no real loss to me personally but I object to resources being sold in a *Hurry! Get a mega discount on this latest 100,000 word spelling sheet!* kind of way.

Of course I share resources with colleagues but I find masses of fantastic, finely tuned resources, freely available online already. Those are usually to be found on English department blogs which are not locked and have been made available to all English teachers - or parents or students, come to that.

I teach English in Scotland and I applaud the generosity of many of my colleagues - colleagues in the wider sense.

RedQuilt likes this.
  12. BelleDuJour

My point exactly.