1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary,

Discussion in 'Primary' started by helen0301, Sep 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. helen0301

helen0301 New commenter

hi guys I've just started a new job as a full time level two teaching assistant working 37 hours a week.
    The salary is £16,772 based on working full 52 weeks a year.
    The school is open 39 weeks and I know I will be entitled to holiday pay with this unsure how many weeks.
    I was wondering if anyone knew how much take home pay would be after tax it's so difficult to work out!!
    Many thanks x

2. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Google salary after tax and a calculator is the first link.

3. maisiehowardx

maisiehowardx New commenter

Hello-
    I've just started my TA job too and had quite a shock when I saw in my contract how much I would actually be taking home... mine was originally £16000 ish but PRO RATA so when in my contract it stated my starting salary was £12000 ish, I was so confused! Basically, I get paid 6 weeks holiday... so the original salary of £16000 is what I would have been paid if I was paid all of the holidays but I only get paid 6. If that's makes sense... after tax I think I take home about £1000 x

4. helen0301

helen0301 New commenter

I'm the same as you got quoted £16,000 salary but that's for if we were to work 52 weeks a year. My starting point is 12,662 which equates to £1,045 after tax national insurance and pension has been taken out. Thanks for your help x

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

How often over the years have we talked about the 'discrepancy' between 'quoted salary' and eventual salary when the Pro rata scale is worked out. There even used to be s 'sticky' which explained this, but of course although the figures are out of date the way the salary is worked out probably still holds good.

The rate quoted by @helen0301 is probably about right for most TAs.

So be warned any 'lurkers' out there considering becoming a TA