1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary- The Hague, The Netherlands

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by laura_j123, Feb 15, 2017.

1. karel

karel Occasional commenter

You would find financial conditions very different in the Netherlands than in China, especially on one salary in the Hague. You would have to pay for everything yourself, rent, and utilities, insurances, which would easily take away 1/3 of your net salary, possibility more. Medical insurance is expensive also. You would get some child benefit, a few hundred euros I suppose, and you'd be eligible for the tax break called the 30% ruling, which would mean for 5 year (I think its just been reduced from 8 to 5 years) you would pay less tax. Bear in mind though that in NL free (non-taxable) school tuition is a part of the 30% ruling, and once that ends so does the free tuition. It is doable to manage on one salary. I lived in the south of NL and some of my colleagues did manage, but it was a struggle for them.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I had a lady colleague when I was in Qatar. She had worked at a very upmarket school in the Netherlands (and no, I cannot name it here!) She loved it and had a great time. The bad news? She did not save a penny, as rent gobbled up a huge chunk of her generous salary.

3. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

I'm not coming form China. I've since turned the job down as I'm not ready to move to Europe yet for all the reasons you've stated so I do feel a lot better after reading these comments. It's not that difficult to buy property in NL but I'd rather wait until I can buy a large chunk of it rather than a 2 bed flat.

4. the hippo

Not that difficult, sid1913? How much are we talking about for a "large chunk" of property in the Netherlands?

5. the hippo

6. puggerchris

puggerchris New commenter

Buying a house in NL is easy enough. Mortgage is tax deductible.
    The British school salary is 40 - 65 K and the 30% rule makes the difference. It is only for 5 years now and then you will leave if your kids are in the school. Or send them to Dutch schools

7. karel

karel Occasional commenter

The 30% rule is a bit deal if you have kids, Its used to be for 10 years, then reduced to 8, and just this year reduced again to 5. In my experience, the schools don't always make it clear that free tuition (non-taxable) is a part of this. Even when the 30% ends it's not that the tuition then becomes a taxable benefit (like it is in other European countries such as Germany), it just ceases to be a benefit of any kind. So particularly if you have young children its really important to be aware of this issue.

8. Mr Sir

Mr Sir New commenter

Be aware that house prices, especially in Amsterdam, have rocketed. If moving to the NL now, a one bedroom flat in the Amsterdam area will cost around 300 - 350,000 euros.

9. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

I meant pay off a large chunk, not pay for a large chunk of land.

10. the hippo

Yes, but how large is "large"? 10,000 euros? 100,000? 200,000? How much spare cash do most international teachers have lying around?

11. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Depends where you've been working.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  12. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

70,000 euros, but yeah, each man'sown version of large is different to the next...

13. missmissmiss

missmissmiss New commenter

Can anyone here tell me current salary for working in the international schools in Hague/Rotterdam area for experienced 10+ years teacher? I know it’s expensive for accommodation so that’s a consideration but can’t find a salary scale anywhere as a start point.

14. puggerchris

puggerchris New commenter

Hi miss,
    The Dutch pay scale goes up to 50K and the top international schools in The Hague 65K. All in Euros. Most international schools are not fully independent from the Dutch system so follow their payscale and holidays, with extra perks. 30% rule is great as long as you meet the criteria. PM if you need more info.

missmissmiss likes this.