1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary- The Hague, The Netherlands

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by laura_j123, Feb 15, 2017.

1. laura_j123

laura_j123 New commenter

Hi all,

I have a final interview for an international school in The Hague and the school have requested that I send my salary expectations prior to interview. I am currently on m1 as an NQT but would be hoping my next job would be on M3 due to my leadership experience.

I have had a google but can't see a consistent understanding of tax and living costs in The Hague or Netherlands in general. I don't want to majorly over or underestimate the salary, any advice on what I should ask for?

2. karel

karel Occasional commenter

The tax situation isn't straight forward in the Netherlands. The tax rate is around 35% but there is also something called the 30% rule which non Dutch employees are eligible for, but it has to be applied for by your employer. This is something that used to be available for 10 years, recently went down to 8 years. It means that the first 30% of you salary isn't taxed. This can mean paying somewherevin the region or 300-500 euros less per month in tax, depending on your salary. Salaries in NL vary a lot depending on whether you are working in a private and independent school or one of the international schools that is affiliated with the Dutch education authority. A gross salary should be around 50,000, for someone with not that much experience. You won't get any housing allowance and it's expensive to live anywhere in NL, especially in The Hague. It's a great country to live in though. I lived in the south of holland previously.

3. laura_j123

laura_j123 New commenter

Thank you for your speedy reply and insight on how tax is calculated.That's a lot more than I expected, salary wise. I was going to suggest around €35k and so feel this might be a bit of an underestimate! Thanks again :)

4. karel

If are able to name the school (in a private message/conversation) I might be able to be more specific about salary because it will really vary a lot from school to school.

5. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I would say that what you were paid in the UK has little bearing on what you would be expecting in the Netherlands as it's a different country, with different living costs.

I hate it when schools are so cryptic about such things. What difference is it going to make to their offer whether your expectations are 1 Euro or a million Euros?

576, yasf, charb74 and 2 others like this.
  6. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

Watching with interest.

7. karel

Is it a British school thing asking what salary you are currently being paid? I was asked that question when moving from one independent school to another whilst working in the U.K., but I've never been asked it international. Tony is right, it really is irrelevant.

8. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I've seen it on a couple of British application forms but never internationally.

9. jayandkaymawson

jayandkaymawson New commenter

I currently live and work in Holland (living in Den Haag) the one piece of advice I can give you is that it is very expensive! Think London prices and the pay does not match up! My wife and I are moving out of Holland because of the cost of living look at Numbeo a cost comparison website to get an idea of how much things are here. I wish I had known just how expensive it is to live here. The 30% ruling applies to those earning over 37k (which I do) but only to the amount earnt over 37k so I think I get about 100euros extra in my pay packet. Taxation here is also high.

10. Hi @laura_j123,

I'm really interested in if you actually did make an agreement with the school for a salary around 50k? I'm kind of in the same situation (interview at an international school in the Netherlands) and I was wondering how did it go for you?

Thanks!

11. jayandkaymawson

In the Netherlands most schools will base your salary on your current U.K. Salary asking for last 3 pay slips. I was on M6 and that translated to a Dutch scale where I earnt 46kp/a inc bonuses. Most schools will not negotiate on salary in the Netherlands because they are DIPS schools which are actually mostly (75ish%) government funded with parents paying a tiny amount compared to most private schools - in order to move to a school which may negotiate you need to look at none DIPS schools so American or British schools not the international ones.

12. Angelil

Angelil Occasional commenter

Salary negotiations seem fair here (Den Haag) in my limited experience of them. They looked at how many years' experience I had and linked that to the national Dutch payscales.

13. maddyboo86

maddyboo86 New commenter

Hello. My Husband has an interview for a school in The Hague (Primary) and I see from your posts that you are now in Spain. I will not be working and we will have a newborn baby and I am concerned at the cost of living in The Hague. Spain was also a consideration of ours. I understand the pay is lower but I really like the lifestyle. I am unable to send private messages but would really value a true opinion of your time in The Hague and Spain so far. Thank you in advance!

14. jayandkaymawson

The Netherlands have better schools - more comparable to the legal rights of a UK teacher, and also a decent approach to education not just money orientated like the Spanish schools. The Hague is a beautiful place but the Dutch attitudes can take some getting used to they are not a fan of any foreigners particularly and the liberal attitudes that you expect are not necessarily what you will receive. Spanish are lovely, the attitude is very relaxed thee biggest issue we had were with the Brit’s. But it is not as cheap to live as people think and on one teaching salary you will probably struggle you are looking at around 1650-2k pick up after tax and rent for a decent apartment/villa with pool is going to be between 600 and 1000 depending on the area plus bills, the start up costs are high too we struggled to find anywhere that didn’t need about 4months rent up front - 2 months deposit, plus rent, plus fees of a month. The schools in the main seem quite poor none of the legal backing you would get over here, very money orientated and not particularly international largely rich Spanish parents who want their kids to speak English. Of the two I would say The Hague will give you a better standard of living on one wage and with a non working spouse and a baby you can expect a healthy tax rebate at the end of the tax year. The Netherlands also give healthy bonuses to teachers each year plus 13 months of pay instead of 12 I was on M6 UK and picked up 2300 after tax in the Netherlands and 1650 after tax in spain.

15. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

You will REALLY struggle in Spain on 1650 Euros net with a family to support.

As for The Hague, take a look at what Numbeo says:

Summary about cost of living in The Hague:

• Four-person family monthly costs: 2,778.86€ without rent (using our estimator).
    • A single person monthly costs: 772.84€ without rent.
    • Cost of living rank 66th out of 539 cities in the world.
    • The Hague has a cost of living index of 84.49.
    If the school are paying your rent it's probably OK. If not then think very carefully.

16. helenjones13

helenjones13 New commenter

17. helenjones13

helenjones13 New commenter

Hi Laura, I have recently worked in an International school in The Hague. The British and American school have their own pay scale. All the others are run by the Dutch Government and teacher's pay in NL aren't that great. It is more lilkey to be around the €35.000, much more likely to be less. The 30% tax rule has changed as well and is not automatically given to expats with a salary less than € 37,000 .. form www.iamexpat.nl ( a useful website)
    • You were recruited outside a 150-km zone of the Dutch border.
    • In 2017, you have a minimum taxable income of 37.000 euros before applying for the 30 percent benefit.
    Living standards are high and so are rents. Younger teachers found it hard to get by. We had a double income, so we were ok. However it is a great place to live and I am sure you will have a great time! I would go back anytime. Just show you are positive person, team player and why you want to be in the Netherlands. Good luck.

Teacher1072 likes this.
  18. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

Currently debating a job here moving from the luxury packages of Asia. Initially, we'd be on one income with a 3 year old until my wife got a job the following year. Reckon this is possible?

19. SecondPlace

SecondPlace Occasional commenter

20. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

My son (not a teacher) has a Dutch spouse and daughter and has lived in a provincial city in the Netherlands for some years. One of the issues he has several times commented on is the high cost to the individual of STATE health care, which is by no means free at point of delivery. As occasional visitors from Spain Mrs M and I find Dutch supermarkets inferior to and more expensive than those at home. The people we meet through our Nederlands family, generally young professionals, are friendly, courteous and speak impeccable English. Our granddaughter (rising eight) is of course fluently bilingual and at a recent family jamboree here in Spain it clearly didn't occur to any of her monoglot British cousins to say 'Hey, why do you talk funny?'