1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary safeguarding and additional duities

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by beeman10, Jul 5, 2019.

1. beeman10

beeman10 New commenter

hello. I am currently a head of department. I have accepted a normal teaching role next year rather than a managerial role that had been offered. I am now being asked to do additional duties for my pay protection. These duties are to be performed without remission. These duties involve curriculum based activities where am I asked to take a “lead” in one particular area - e-learning. There are also whole school duties such as supporting and delivering cpd events and training of staff.I am concerned about not having enough time to perform my full time teaching role. So my question is how much can a principal ask me to do during my pay protection period, without offering remission and how much can I refuse to do without being unreasonable.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

3. beeman10

beeman10 New commenter

Time off from my full time teaching hours. I work in a sixth form college and so that is all I have in my timetable for next year - 24 hours of contact time. How else would you define remission?

4. beeman10

beeman10 New commenter

To give more context I am being asked to sign an agreement- one of the points is:

“In consultation with the Principal where necessary, the allowance holder will carry out agreed duties in a way that is proportional and appropriate to the level of safeguarded salary and within the general scope of the key purpose”

Another is

To carry out these or equivalent duties that provide transitional capacity alongside the substantive job description held as a teacher

The duties listed involve
    Leading in e learning within my department
    Delivering cpd events to all staff

I am paid as a manager. I have TLRs responsibilities that comes with 30% remission from teaching. Is it sensible to sign an agreement which states that I will carry out duties that are proportional with my managerial duties and also be expected to perform the substantive role of a full time teacher? This seems unreasonable to me

5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I've never heard 'remission' used that way, but I've no experience of SFC. 'Non-contact time' or 'free period' would be the usual terms in schools in England.

border_walker likes this.