1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

salary question

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Middlemarch, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I do know that schools are not charities and where you live is your issue, your problem and not a valid reason to expect to be paid more than you might otherwise deserve.
    if your 'you were unnecessarily rude' comment was aimed at me, then you need a bit of a lesson in what rudeness actually is. If you're that thin skinned, maybe teaching isn't the best career for you.

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Another one throwing his/her toys out of the pram. [​IMG]

MM is right, and no way was her advice rude or unhelpful.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I, for one, found out about the pay structure before I started teaching, not after!

4. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

so you knew all the ins and outs of how it works? Many non teaching job adverts have salaries on them, they may not say that they are negotiable but they often are.
    This question could have been answered by simply saying " no that's not the way it's done, the allowance goes with the location of the school" No need to mention owing a Porsche or whatever. All they asked was for clarification, I thought that's what a forum was for.
    I think the OP gets the idea now.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Oh ok.....No, that's not the way it's done - the salary banding for inner, fringe and outer London is based on the location of the school,. Had you considered moving out of inner London to be both nearer your school and save yourself some rent? If you like city life transport links are pretty good in and out of the hub?

6. lidlest

lidlest New commenter

No, but coming back to state "I am still amused" is. Sadly some people spend far too much time on here and feel they are within their rights to talk down to/ mock other posters.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Some of us are under the impression that teachers are grown ups. If my comments cut the OP to the quick, she's not going to survive in a classroom.
    Some times - sometimes - people ask stupid questions to which if they'd given more than a second's thought they'd have avoided making a show of themselves.

8. lidlest

lidlest New commenter

Then some of us really should behave like grown-ups. Teaching should be a profession not a trial, I survive just fine in my classroom but still hate the petty, bullying, childish actions and responses of some 'teachers'.

/p>You could have just said ' no, you can negotiate pay but not along those grounds' , simple, to the point, not bitchy.

9. What percentage of NQTs get to negotiate pay? Just out of interest.

10. I managed to negotiate pay but it was 2005/6 which was a very different world funding wise. I would guess it will be very rare now the cuts are biting unless you're a super, duper maths teacher!

11. Informant

Informant New commenter

I did.

12. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

so there you go.......it is a perfectly valid question.

However, to be in with a chance of negotiation , you would need to be able to show you have other relevant experience / can offer something extra etc. Just I live in XYZ won't be enough. In today's economic climate, it boils down to whether the school can afford it and I would hazard a guess that unless they have cash to spare, they will go for the cheapest option

13. lidlest

lidlest New commenter

I did

14. I did too - a perfectly valid question. I hope the OP isn't put off by the patronising replies some have left. Plus the fact that one of the posters is a Head. Not all are as rude. Thankfully.