1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary question Switzerland

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MayaJones, Apr 3, 2017.

1. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

Hi,

I am on the verge of being offered a teaching position in Switzerland. Salary is 5500 CHF Gross per month. I know that around 30% will come off that for deductions.

I realize that this is not amazing for Switzerland, however, I can live in France which is just 15 minutes away by car and get all my food in France. As a singleton, I have worked out that I would be left with well over 1500 UKP disposable (savings) income after paying rent, food and fuel.

Should I go for it?

2. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

This is only slightly above the average wage in Switzerland. However, it's still around £52,000 or 61,000euro, which is well above UK or other European teaching salaries (and around double the average French wage!). Being able to live in France would certainly make a difference for rent/shopping. Would you have to pay Swiss or French taxes? Is it a good school/position? Are you a fully-qualified, experienced teacher? Does the school have a pay scale? Is there room to go up the pay scale... at what rate?

3. karel

karel Occasional commenter

That salary sounds very low for Switzerland. On Search the schools listed in Switzerland have salary stated around 80,000 to 90,000 dollars for 4 years experience. Have you asked about medical insurance at all when trying to factor in all your expenses? I believe you have to pay that yourself and it's expensive. Only you know what kind of lifestyle you want to lead and whether you hope to travel, go out a lot and save on the salary you will get. I would love to work in Switzerland but I believe that achieving these things at any school would be a struggle (I have a non teaching spouse and child). A good friend of mine is moving to Geneva next school year and her salary is significantly higher than that. She does have 20+ years experiences being recognized and a masters though, but having said that starting salaries are also much higher than you mention. It sounds like you are on your own so you just have to get as good a picture as you can about all the expenses you will be paying - rent, bills, medical, insurances, travel to/from work as well as food and see if you think you can manage it and would want to do if it meant not having much left over at the end.

4. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

We have a single friend with 4 years (or so ) experience who is at the top/one of the top int'l schools in Switzerland and she still claims that she is not doing that well financially.

In the end, you will need to decide whether living and working in Switzerland/France is worth taking the chance. If you are single and have to itch to try somewhere new and then school seems at least decent, then maybe give it a go if you are so inclined. Let us know how it all works out.

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

My brother in law was offered a job there a number of years ago as a head of department. The package looked amazing on paper, in excess of €100 000 starting salary. When you took into consideration tax, accommodation (for family of 4), he very quickly realised he would not be making any money..... so he went yo work in Peru instead.

6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

People see big numbers in Switzerland and assume they'd be rich. However, just take a look at numbeo to see the figures.

Your grocery shopping alone would cost a small fortune. A kilo of beef here is about 9 Euros. The same thing in Switzerland would be 42!!!

Gym membership per month - 100 Euros

Average 1 bedroom apartment in the city - 1000 Euros a month.

No thanks!

7. johnenglish1

johnenglish1 New commenter

5500 CHF a month taxed at 30% is 1650 tax so it is really 4350 CHF minus 1000 a month rent is 3350 francs a month or 2800 pounds disposable income which is not bad.

8. johnenglish1

Is it really 14Fr 11quid for a Mcdonalds meal in Berne or Switzerland? I just looked at numbeo. Beef is extraordinarily expensive. Still with 2800 quid disposible income you could prob save a 1000 i would assume. Never lived there though.

9. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

5500 - 1650 is not 4350!!

Come on Musikteech, you're not even trying any more

sabrinakat and lottee1000 like this.
  10. cb324

cb324 Occasional commenter

Would you have to pay to enter Switzerland every time you commute in? When I visited Switzerland I'm sure you have to pay some sort of fee to enter the country. Plus a lot of the roads are toll roads entering into the country (I believe?).

11. johnenglish1

Oh!!!! It is 3,850. So after 1000 rent it will be 2,850 or 2,289 GBP. That is surely still doable unless the OP wants to waste 500 a month fuel costs commuting from France by car. Im john english because I lost my online english teaching cos Icwas late for 3 lessons out of 147 this month. My computer crashed and caused me to be a few minutes late so the chinese btrds cancelled my contract. I immediately reapplied as John English lol yes really...and was accepted. But their rates have dropped from 16 usd to 10 usd per hour. I have been making 500-1000 a month as well.

12. johnenglish1

And talk8ng of Numbeo and 11 quid for mcdonalds in swiss i just had a tasty thai meal out in taiwan and it was 169 TWD which is 4pound 10p lol. Stir fried beef with green onions and a bowl of rice and a coke. 4.20 now how much would that be in swiss I wonder

13. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

I'm confused. Anyone else?

sabrinakat likes this.
  14. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

Thank you all for your insightful replies.

Just to reiterate, I would live in France and drive 15 minutes to the school in Switzerland. I would pay Swiss tax, pension, unemployment contribution and the compulsory health insurance. I would be paying rent and food in France. Rent would be around 600 Euros and food 300 per month in France.

My calculation indicates that I would have 1500 UKP left for saving/travel etc which seems pretty good to me. Will let you know if I get an offer and accept or not.

Thank you all.

15. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I stayed in Geneva a couple of years ago - just before the Franc increased in value - and a veggie burger in MacDonalds was about £7, so I can believe it's now £11 for a meal.

As for paying to enter - unless you were on the motorway you couldn't even tell where the border was. All shop workers, waiters, etc., lived in France. It's a nice country, but I don't think I'd ever go back - it's just too expensive.

16. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Is it possible to determine yet whether you'll still be able to live in France after March 2019 if you don't work there?

17. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

This is a good point and one which would have to be investigated. Your work visa (if it came to that after Brexit) would be Swiss and so you might not be allowed to live in France since you don't work there. It would be the equivalent of living in the USA and commuting to Mexico when you're not an American citizen.

18. Michelle_Matthews1000

Michelle_Matthews1000 New commenter

Is this by any chance a school that is 'above a lake'?

19. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

It is not that school.

Meanwhile, I got an offer and have accepted. I will live in France and commute the short distance to Switzerland every day.

20. recorder2407

recorder2407 New commenter

Out of curiosity, what will be your responsibilities? Which classes? How many hours?

I ask because I will meet a school in Switzerland this weekend and I don't know yet what their financial offer will be.