1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary over Summer?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by lilybleue, May 2, 2012.

1. lilybleue

lilybleue New commenter

Hello

I am currently an NQT looking for a new job for September.

My question is the following: if the last day of Summer term is the last day I work in my current school, and I start working in my new school in September, then is anyone going to pay me in August?

Is that something I can negociate with either school?

Or is this "month without being paid" something that all teachers have to deal with when they change school.

I have read the posts talking about the Burgundy (or something like that!) text but being a French native, I don't really understand the way it is phrased so don't really understand what it entails...

Thank you for your help! !!!

2. lilybleue

lilybleue New commenter

Hello

I am currently an NQT looking for a new job for September.

My question is the following: if the last day of Summer term is the last day I work in my current school, and I start working in my new school in September, then is anyone going to pay me in August?

Is that something I can negociate with either school?

Or is this "month without being paid" something that all teachers have to deal with when they change school.

I have read the posts talking about the Burgundy (or something like that!) text but being a French native, I don't really understand the way it is phrased so don't really understand what it entails...

Thank you for your help! !!!

3. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

put your leaving date as 31st august. that should do it.

4. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

The Burgundy Book deals with conditions of service for teachers in state schools in England and Wales. When you get a new job, state in your letter of resignation to your current headteacher that you will leave the job on 31st August. Although the last day at work will be sometime in mid-July, you will be paid until 31st August.

5. Dancing Butterfly

Dancing Butterfly New commenter

I've always been told that in terms of pay though it depends on the date you are contracted until at your current school.
    If it is a regular permenent post and you have to hand your resignation in by the 31st May, then you need to state in your letter of resignation that your leaving date is 31st August.By doing this you will be paid until the 31st Aug.
    However if you are on a fixed term contract (i.e for one year only) and don't need to hand in your notice because your contract is coming to an end, then you need to check your contract. It should tell you the date that the contract ends, this is the date you will be paid until. Hopefully you will be lucky, like I was and the end date will be 31st Aug, however I've had friends whos contract end date has been the last day of term.
    Hope this helps and if I'm wrong I'm sure a more experienced poster will be along soon to correct me. :)

6. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You're right about there being exceptions, usually when the post is a maternity cover - in that case, the post will end on the return of the postholder, which may well be at the start of the summer holiday. Other one year contracts should be Sep-Aug, although it doesn't seem to be guaranteed.
    I think other posters had assumed the original poster was currently in a permanent post.