1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary not paid

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by LostTeacher17, Apr 27, 2017.

1. LostTeacher17

LostTeacher17 New commenter

It is still all too common, but I'm now owed $1000s from a Swedish group which breached their contact with me. They are trying to set up schools in Pakistan and Saudi and I'd spent a couple of months supporting them.

What would you do? Get hold of Swedish lawyers? Can't see Pakistan lawyers being any use as the Pakistan partners are a very big family there.

2. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

What it in your contract that you will be compensated for your support?

If the contract was signed in Sweden then use the Swedish lawyers

3. -Sarah-

-Sarah- New commenter

I'd start by contacting the Citizens' Advice Bureau.

I hope you manage to get your money without too much hassle.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  4. LostTeacher17

As if by magic, after contacting a Swedish law firm today and writing on here, the Nordic Education company caved in and paid; unfortunately I still suffered losses as the $ to £ exchange rate is worse than what is was when the deadline for payment came and went. I presume their Odd behaving CEO reads these forums, or was alerted to it today.

I've already informed the Ministry of Education in Saudi Arabia, through friends I have there, and other service companies around the world I'm on good terms with; but that's their problem now. They breached a contract, and should learn not to try it on again in future with others.

The key advice I would give to anyone in a similar position in future: don't waste time whining on the International Schools Review forum, only negative minded teachers read that; go for reputational damage on as wider scale as possible, and ensure the school you have the issue with is aware of what you are doing.

Any teacher finding themselves in a similar place should contact me and I will assist pro bono where possible.

5. LostTeacher17

When you have a contract, it usually means you'll be compensated, truth seeker.

6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I would name and shame on the ***, that's what it is there for unlike this forum.

I should imagine the Swedish company is owned by a PO Box number in Jersey, registered to a company in Gibraltar and under a name by a company in Panama!

The best track would be to complain to the Swedish Minister of Foreign Affairs and Home Affairs as this would impact the reputation of Sweden abroad.

Legal action in the courts takes years and costs a fortune, so kiss the money goodbye.

7. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Sorry to hear it.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It takes two to tango, as the old saying goes, and I have known teachers complain bitterly when the boot is on the other foot. Apologies for the mixed metaphors, but I have known too many teachers who think that it is a small matter to break their contracts with their schools.