1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary negotiation

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by island8833, Apr 29, 2018.

1. island8833

island8833 New commenter

I have an interview tomorrow and have been reading conflicting information.
    Is salary normally discussed at interview or on receipt of an offer?

I am keen to attempt to negotiate a higher staring salary as I teach a shortage subject and have 10+ years industry experience. I know this offers no guarantees but I do want to try.

I'm a current PGCE student so I have no experience of how it all works
    Many thanks!

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You need to be clear about the salary before you accept the post. Once you have accepted then you lose the impetus for negotiation. Remember offers and acceptances are initially verbal. Do always agree a salary then and make sure that this is confirmed in writing. If you go in with a salary figure or range in mind remember that the induction -10% additional release and professional development programmes- has to be paid for and a higher salary may not result in the availability of training opportunities you would like.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Firstly, you're already ahead of me (and probably a lot of others on this forum) with your industry experience. I assume this means you are already battle-hardened in pay negotiation and a lot of HR/SLT in schools might not be that good.
    All my skill at negotiation comes from buying drinks for a friend in business-to-business sales who knows nothing about education but everything about haggling.

My friend's advice was to only talk about pay once the offer is made and even rebuff queries about it beforehand with "Don't you want to see if you want me first?" and similar.
    You shouldn't accept before knowing ALL details of the job. It is a binding and there are a lot of threads on there forums from people who agreed without checking basics like pay, let alone other working conditions.

Pomza likes this.
  4. LostProperty

LostProperty New commenter

I'm following this with interest. Thought teaching pay scales (inc starting / NQT) were set by the government?

5. island8833

island8833 New commenter

Thank you for the replies. I will keep this in mind

6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Get offered job (which will come with an assumption of M1) , then explain the pay you require before accepting.

If they don't budge, you'll have to choose whether to walk away or take M1.

That's it really...

l_khatun and JohnJCazorla like this.
  7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

There are national salary scales for maintained schools as determined by school teacher pay and conditions- however the salary point is negotiable as even for an experienced teacher pay is no longer "portable". Academies and independents have their own scales and conditions of employment.
    Most NQT appointments have traditionally been on M1 although shortage subject teachers have negotiated higher points starts for many years now.

8. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

You can see this thing is going to evolve into a godly mess of variation in pay. We are spending a lot of time with our PGs trying to advise them about negotiating pay. Traditionally, schools offered you 'the job' on the day and then pay and conditions were all fixed and portable. However, schools are still offering ‘the job' on the day and not disclosing pay and conditions until the contract is shown. But schools are using the power of 'accepted the job' to negotiate downwards later.
    We have free schools with their own pay scales (lower than main scale), different holiday entitlement and so forth offering posts and what advice do you give to a PG?
    You accept a job, subject to agreement on terms and conditions. The PGs are often worried about saying that clause, but it has to become standard. Where are the unions in this? If all unions agreed to advise members to say some kind of line on terms and conditions we could make it easier for all.

Leonieeee and JohnJCazorla like this.
  9. LostProperty

LostProperty New commenter

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense now.

10. I have a dilemma and am looking for answers on TES but so far have not found the right results when searching...

So, I was asked by the school to apply for a position as NQT. I am a Schools Direct salaried trainee and also taking a PGCE add on. When I was invited to apply, I was clear to the deputy head that I was looking for M3. During my interview (a discussion with the headteacher and deputy head, I did not talk about pay again. I have accepted the offer, thinking it would be M3 but I have been offered M1. What can I do. She has agreed to meet with me again, tomorrow. I have 7 years catering experience, I have fine art experience, textile experience and will. be teaching DT. I will also teach art after my NQT