1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary MPS

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mrjack, Jun 19, 2019.

1. mrjack

mrjack Occasional commenter

HI All,
    When you see an advert and it states MPS does that mean they do not pay UPS ?
    Thanks in advance,
    MRJ

2. polly2

polly2 New commenter

I wondered that. I think when Mr Gove changed the pay policies for teachers some years back, it means that schools can determine their own salary for new starters, so even if it says MPS and you are UPS, I think you can still apply but be prepared to come down a grade or two. I am in the same position.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Maybe it means that, maybe it doesn't. Sorry, I know that's not very helpful.:)

The question has been asked here before and it seems that in job ads sometimes it means the school will only pay on MPS, not UPS, but sometimes they just use it as shorthand for 'classroom teacher not leadership' and might pay UPS.

The only way to find out what they'll pay for a specific post is to ask them.

JohnJCazorla and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. chevonanc

chevonanc New commenter

We would generally advertise a post as MPS if we didn't want an NQT for the role. So we would almost certainly pay UPS for the right candidate.

5. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

When you go for a job these days you negotiate your salary at interview

JohnJCazorla likes this.