1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary - Irish teacher just moved here

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by darahowley, Dec 15, 2015.

1. darahowley

darahowley New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm a fully qualified Irish teacher with a B.Mus.Ed (honours degree and teaching qualification). I've just moved here and I have just been offered a job. Initially I'll be on the NQT salary as I haven't gotten QTS yet (but have applied). The salary I'm being offered is the same as M1.

My question is what level of the Main Pay Scale should i be asking for once my QTS comes through?

I have ten years experience teaching although not all in a classroom setting (lots of one-on-one).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo and welcome both to TES and to the UK, @darahowley

Oh dear!

I'm afraid - none at all.

You see, your previous years experience may not count, as many schools no longer recognise Pay Portability. So you will need to look at the school's own Pay Policy.

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

Best wishes

3. Godmeister

Godmeister Occasional commenter

Unfortunately, as stated by @TheoGriff, you can't really have any pay expectations. All schools can now put in place whatever pay progression policy they like and I'm sure they'll probably keep you on M1 after your QTS comes through as it is your first year at their school. Experience in another school system doesn't generally count for much these days. I left UK teaching two years ago on a HoD salary and would expect to be put back on M1 if I ever return given what is happening nowadays.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not necessarily!

Certainly if you had a HoD post, you wouldn't be. And many schools, while not offering UPS, would still value experience when it is backed up by data showing success.

Best wishes

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

And the school could offer you more than M1, even if you have not got QTS. The time to negotiate this is before you accept the offer (if you haven't already). If the school likes you enough and has the money (a big if) you might get a bit more. But, there is a risk that they might withdraw the offer if they are feeling awkward.