1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary in UAE

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Lou_Cocker, May 10, 2020.

1. Lou_Cocker

Lou_Cocker New commenter

Hi Guys I'm just after a little advise if you don't mind please.

I've been told the salary for a certain school in Dubai is around 10500AED + accommodation, flights etc.

Is that the ball park figure I should be looking for from schools or is there any room for negotiation? I've only been teaching 2 years but have a few years racked up in industry (Not sure that really matters).

Thank you.

2. Powergnome3

Powergnome3 Occasional commenter

It is low - right at the bottom for UK trained teachers.
    Can you survive on just over £2000 per month in Dubai? Probably... but any of that Dubai fun will quickly eat into it. Depends on your lifestyle, of course...

3. mflnqt

mflnqt New commenter

It is on the lower end but you have only been teaching for 2 years. They will not take your years in industry into account unfortunately. You can try to negotiate but be prepared for them to say no, or to even withdraw the offer.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

As this smelly old hippo has pointed out, I don't know how many times, it is NOT just about the salary. It is really about your overall "balance of payments", how much you will have left at the end of the month. Salaries in Doobuy are not what they were. (Maybe they never really were what they were.) You might be able to do beeter elsewhere, Lou_Cocker.

5. Mitochondria1

Mitochondria1 Occasional commenter

That's really quite a shockingly lowball offer. I'd walk away. You can survive on that, but it won't be fun Dubai time.

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

No, it is poor, don’t bother

7. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

Ridiculously poor offer...

8. Lou_Cocker

Lou_Cocker New commenter

Thank you for your responses, they're much appreciated.

Just out of interest, what sort of offer would be good/achievable?

It doesn't necessarily have to be in Dubai, I am open to most places.

9. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

Sounds a grim amount to survive on.

10. 03mkk

03mkk New commenter

Is that at one of the shiny jewel schools by any chance? I worked at one for three years....The package you stated was almost exactly what I was paid at the start of my contract.

Initially, when you move there are lots of start up costs. I didn’t really save anything much in the first year at all but had quite a good time socially (brunches etc). I only really started saving when I did 2-3 hours private tutoring a week... which isn’t technically allowed but everyone does it, particularly if you are a core subject teacher.

Honestly, if you have any dependents though, I would say the salary be insufficient. It depends on what you choose to spend money on. I had a modest rental car and didn’t really spend money on clothes etc. so it was manageable.

Lou_Cocker likes this.
  11. Mitochondria1

If that's what the shiny schools are offering...wow!

12. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Well... you have only been teaching 2 years and with Dubai being a hot destination for young ones like you; Dubai is not as lucrative as it once was.

Taking away car rental...You're single and all major bills paid for.. If you can eat and drink your way through 8000dhm (£1690 - £1700) a month then it's not enough.

No harm in trying to negotiate for a bit more. Even if an extra 250 -500AED/month.

If you have other guaranteed prospects move on and find another. But it's May during a pandemic.... getting the top salaries could prove difficult.

13. 03mkk

03mkk New commenter

I only had 2 years teaching before I left the UK like the OP.

14. Mitochondria1

12 years ago I was offered 12,000 QAR + Flights 3 times a year, car, housing, etc... as someone who had just finished his NQT year. Both you and the OP are being offered a naff package

15. 03mkk

03mkk New commenter

to be fair, I think salaries in the Middle East have decreased a lot in general over the last decade from what friends have said. Anyway, I left to teach in Asia and have a much better package now thankfully!

BlueHues likes this.
  16. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

12 years ago the 1 AED was buying 15-17p (if lucky)... Now, including fees, it's exchanging 21 - 22p.

Can't compare packages from 12 years ago to now. Dubai's uber packages have changed.. Even the Burj Khalifa bares its name from the Abu brother who provided funding to finish the building.

17. Mitochondria1

Doesn't change the fact of the matter that the package he's been offered is ****.

18. Lou_Cocker

Lou_Cocker New commenter

I think I'll give it another year, hope for this Covid situation to die down a little and get another years experience in the UK.

Duraz likes this.
  19. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Firstly, I do not think that teachers' salaries in the UAE will have dramatically improved in twelve months' time, Lou_Cocker, so giving it another year (or two) in the UK is probably not going to make a significant difference. With oil prices falling lower and lower, the salaries might even get worse!

Secondly, if your main focus is to teach overseas, rather than in the UK, then perhaps you need to make the move as soon as possible. For many international schools, getting PYP / MYP / IB experience is much more important than doing another year (or two) in the UK. Therefore the sooner you get that PYP / MYP /IB training, the sooner you will be able to apply for teaching jobs in the best international schools all around the world, not like this pants one in the UAE.

Thirdly, the Coronavirus is a pandemic, according to WHO. Therefore it is a problem in many countries around the world. Yes, the pandemic is probably going to cause some difficulties with your visas and flights, but on the other hand you might not be jumping on a plane every week. (You will need a visa and a flight at the beginning of the school year and at end of it, but maybe not otherwise.)

Fourthly, Lou_Cocker, at the moment, it looks as though many international schools will be re-opening at the end of August / beginning of September, so of course they will need to have teachers. Yes, the pandemic is a problem, but there might be another problem next year and the year after that as well, so you might never make the move into international schools. I am not saying that you should be reckless or irresponsible, but I am saying that if you are never prepared to take any risks, then staying in the UK might be the best thing for you.

brokendreamz likes this.