1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary in the UAE

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by NQTabroad, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hello all,
    I am a fully qualified primary teacher with 2 years UK experience and prior to this I have one years experience teaching English in the UAE. So, in total I have 3 years teaching experience.
    I have been offered a job at a British school outside Dubai for a 9.000 dirhams salary per month. I was a little disappointed as I was hired as an unqualified English teacher for 7.700 dirhams. Seems the additional experience and qualifications do not seem to count for much in this school [​IMG]
    One of my American friends told me not to settle for less than 12.000. Is that rather high or to be expected with my qualifciations and experience?
    Thanks

2. Hello all,
    I am a fully qualified primary teacher with 2 years UK experience and prior to this I have one years experience teaching English in the UAE. So, in total I have 3 years teaching experience.
    I have been offered a job at a British school outside Dubai for a 9.000 dirhams salary per month. I was a little disappointed as I was hired as an unqualified English teacher for 7.700 dirhams. Seems the additional experience and qualifications do not seem to count for much in this school [​IMG]
    One of my American friends told me not to settle for less than 12.000. Is that rather high or to be expected with my qualifciations and experience?
    Thanks

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

9,000 is a little on the low side. 12,000 is more reasonable. However, you don't have many years experience.
    I would want to know what the pay scale is like (how many points, where you sit on it, and how big the increments) I would also want to know if there have been pay rises over, say, the last 5 years.

4. 9,000 is really low. Your friend is correct; 12,000 is much nearer the mark if you are fully qualified and have 3 years experience under your belt.

5. I think so too. I mean I know its not central Dubai but I didn t go to England and get qualified and experienced for that low a salary. I think I ll keep looking.

Thanks

6. Especially as I have one friend working in the PPP schools and he is on 13000 a month. He has only one years UK experience and never lived out there before. 9000 seems a bit of a kick in the teeth in comparison considering I am more experienced than he is.