1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Salary in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by QueenClaire1983, Jan 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. QueenClaire1983

QueenClaire1983 New commenter

Hi,

Anyone have any information on salaries in Mexico?

Also, any thoughts on safety? And quality of schools?

Thanks!

2. sharon52

sharon52 New commenter

Send me a PM lived and worked here for a few years

3. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

You'll probably get better information from @sharon52 as she is there.

My understanding from a colleague who moved there from Asia is the salary is low (extraordinarily low in comparison to what she was earning), but she can live and travel on it. Not saving much.

She feels safe and is happy there and has extended her contract.

4. sharon52

sharon52 New commenter

Its all according in which school and what contract you have, some have better benefits, Its a good place to live.

5. holarobb

holarobb New commenter

I taught ESL there for 6 months about 5 years ago and I loved it. I felt very safe there and I was paid about 150 pesos an hour which back then was about £7 an hour.

I had saved a lot of money before moving there and barely touched it because my salary kept me going.

I would have stayed longer but my family needed me back in the UK. It is a great place to live but from what I have heard all around, the salaries aren't great.

All the best.

6. reddevil79

reddevil79 New commenter

Mexico’s a big country, so it depends where you’re going to be.

I’ve been here for the past 10 years, work at a public university in the south of the country and have avoided most of the drug-related violence thankfully. Having said that, general level of crime has increased, although I do feel safe for the most part.

Salaries are low when converted to dollars or pounds, but generally enough to live on and save when in Mexico. International travel will obviously eat into these savings. I tend to return to the UK once a year, and plane tickets / other costs do take up a fair amount of my budget.

Interesting time politically as well with hard-left President coming into office last year. Some murmurings of discontent, but don’t think for one minute we’ll go down the route of Venezuela (or Bolivia or Argentina for that matter).

Feel free to ask any questions you have.

7. sharon52

sharon52 New commenter

I agree I have been here a long time and I really enjoy my life here .... Its a good place to live .. I go to the UK once a year and have a good life