1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

salary guess-timates for this postion please?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by tartetatin, Jan 29, 2011.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hello everyone, [​IMG]
    I would be most grateful for your help on this. Basically, I am a qualified secondary school teacher (obtained my PGCE at Cambridge) and have several years teaching experience at an independent school.
    I am also a mum to 3 young children and have been very much immersed in this role for some time! I now feel ready to start applying for jobs, but not necessarily teaching postions. Having been at home for so long, my self-confidence is pretty low and I don't feel quite ready for the chalkface yet.
    However, I have only just come across a vacancy at a local private school. It's for the role of part-time houseparent, to boarders. I feel this would be a good stepping stone and I feel quite excited at the prospect of working with young people, who happen to be unrelated to me, once again! I also feel that I have lots to offer.
    If I were to secure the position, I would need to arrange childcare for my own children and, to sound perfectly blunt, I'm not sure if it would be worth my while financially.
    Please could you give me a rough idea of how much I could expect to be paid for this role. My last school was a day school, so I am quite unfamiliar with the whole boarding scenario. It's part-time, two days and two evenings a week, term-time only (so no holiday pay, at a guess), salary based on experience, etc. etc.
    Thank you very much indeed. [​IMG]

2. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

I also meant to ask if you think it's acceptable for me to ask them the above. Do you think that's appropriate?
    Hmmm, while we're at it, wonder if they offer a reduction in fees to non-teaching staff ...[​IMG]

3. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hi Karvol. Many thanks for your reply.
    Your point about me knowing nothing about boarding is entirely valid. I would need to put a fair bit of research into this. I'm guessing that much of the work is relatively routine driven though, and could be learnt.
    I'm hoping that my qualifications, skills and experience will put me in a good light [​IMG]
    I've been thinking of returning to work for some time now, and I feel genuinely excited about this ... for the first time in ages!

4. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm, but there is only one way of learning about boarding and that is by being resident staff in a boarding school. It is very unlikely that you will be employed as a housemistress without having any boarding experience.
    This is not something you can read about in a book, and very little of the work is routine. Sure, the check-ins, prep duty, activities etc. etc. may be, but what about all the other things that make up boarding school life? Dealing with parents, staff, kids? A boarding school is very different from a day school and this lack of experience will come through in an interview ( if it gets that far ).
    Good luck with application, but I think it is an outside bet at best.

5. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

You may be right, but we'll see. I'll give it a try anyway and will keep you posted.
    Thanks again for your replies. You have most definitely given me food for thought ... and a will to succeed! [​IMG]

6. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hello again,
    I've just reread the job particulars/description and it makes no mention of needing previous boarding experience. I'd never have had the confidence to go for it otherwise. In fact, I get the impression that working with children in any capacity is a bonus rather than a prerequisite, at least for this particular position. From what I've read into houseparenting since discovering the ad at about midnight last night (!), this seems fairly unusual. As you say karvol, previous relevant experience is normally required.
    Maybe it's a 'start at the bottom' type affair?....

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

There is only one way of funding out...

8. i've heard everything from 12000-54000 (in senior indys). Most are around the 30-4o mark but i'm not sure about preps. It also depends what part of the country you are in (!!!)

9. ovbiously thats full time!!

10. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Thanks, baileysgal.
    My interview for the post takes place next week. I'm really chuffed - it's a real confidence booster after not having worked for a few years. The job itself sounds really interesting and I believe I could do well at it.
    However (there's always a 'but', isn't there?!) ... it turns out that the hours are pretty awkward, and therefore the childcare arrangements for my 3 children would be a logistical nightmare [​IMG]
    I'll let you know what happens.