1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

salary freeze

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by cmk01, Apr 5, 2012.

1. how come that the lowest paid staff in schools are having a pay freeze. teachers and management are getting pay rises, why not the rest.
    teaching assistants in school work so hard, without them a class and the teacher would fall apart, they rely on support staff like there's no tomorrow and if heaven forbid yours is off ill then boy do you teachers squwark its not fair!
    the government should re think, t/a's don't get paid full time even on a permanent contract, they are only paid for 37 weeks of the year.
    think again about pay rises please

2. how come that the lowest paid staff in schools are having a pay freeze. teachers and management are getting pay rises, why not the rest.
    teaching assistants in school work so hard, without them a class and the teacher would fall apart, they rely on support staff like there's no tomorrow and if heaven forbid yours is off ill then boy do you teachers squwark its not fair!
    the government should re think, t/a's don't get paid full time even on a permanent contract, they are only paid for 37 weeks of the year.
    think again about pay rises please

3. I agree with this but the unions are to busy fighting for the pensions to do anything about the here and now. Also am I the only one who gets the vibe from the media and therefore public that if you work in the public sector you should be grateful you have a job and shouldn't expect to be paid for it as well!

4. Definitely agree we are due a pay rise! I thought that teachers' pay is frozen too ?

5. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

It is.

6. R13

R13 New commenter

As a Head I have every sympathy for LSAs with respect to their pay levels but it's just plain wrong to assume teachers and leaders have a rise - there is a national pay freeze for teachers too.

I'd also add that this Government won't change their minds on better wages for low paid people - if you want that you need voters to change their minds on who they want for a Government!

7. glenn_xp

glenn_xp New commenter

Teachers got a pay rise 2 years ago if I recall.

Not everyone can qualify for working tax credits. Ironically i don't work enough hours to qualify. If I worked 30 hrs then not only would I be earning more money, I'd get a small tax credit but because I'm on 25 hrs pw, I get nowt. No logic in that if you ask me.

8. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

There never was an 'automatic' cost of living rise - they were negotiated every year by the recognised trade unions but non-members benefitted from the negotiations, paid for by member subscriptions! (Sorry, but this remains a very sore point for me - and I do realise that R13 didn't mean to suggest otherwise.)
    I always hate the 'them and us' comments which are posted on this kind of thread - all school staff are in the same boat as regards future pay rises and, in fact, terms and conditions for all of us are in great danger - there are lots of things wrong at my school but atI am glad that least TAs and teachers retain a mutual respect and support each other.

9. Please be aware that LSA is a very outdated title. Teaching Assistant is the correct terminology.

10. Mmmm quite an ignorant answer [​IMG]

11. We've just been through job evaluation and single status, personally I have to take a pay cut of £500 pa, our union reps told us that we should be grateful we have jobs !! Why should I, when i am qualified up to my eyeballs, and have 12 years experience of working in the early years. This is my career, not pin money or something to do because I get school holidays off ! [​IMG]

12. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

[​IMG] what answer, kaz?

13. Not true, we have TAs and LSAs. TAs are classroom based and the LSAs run interventions with the SENCo.

14. R13

R13 New commenter

The 'correct' terminology is whatever it says on the contract - outdated or not

15. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Depends on where you work. At my school we are LSAs.

16. Completely agree. These are worrying times. I read somewhere recently that this government have extremely close ties to Reform, which doesn't surprise me in the least. We can look forward to huge class sizes and nearly all TAs being got rid of if they get their way

17. sorry if you found the above comment offensive, it wasn't meant to be, it was just a personal opinion. if the TA1 in question takes home the same as you (presume you are the teacher they work with) then either you are on a very low salary or your TA1 is on a very high salary. i wonder what authority that is.